free website stats program synthetic NO NO | Harley Davidson Forums

synthetic NO NO

00BUCKSHOT

why is it a no no to run syn oil in a shovel or panhead i've herd it stated a few times that syn is great for a evo or twincam but never the old stuff why is this?

hmmm wonder if a semi-synthetic blend would work?i was thinking 1/2 H-D dino 1/2 mobil 1 /because the 2 will mix just fine.i'm only wondering because i intend to buy a shovel one day and restore it

Shovels and pans were really good at marking their territory. Even with running straight 50 weight oil. I can just imagine what it would be like with synthetic oil in one. Once you heated it up, that super thin, slick synthetic would probably run outta that old girl like grease thru a goose.
Now, if you would do a complete rebuild, and using the latest sealants, gaskets etc, And new parts in the engine, It would more than likely work just fine.

Probably one other thing is cost...doesn't make sense to use 100% Synthetic $15-$20 quart oil to "drip" lube the drive chain and other pedestrian tasks of old, just seems like a misapplication for high performance oil for "loose tolerance", older machine JMHO.

In reality most modern oils are semi-synthetic blends anyway. That is what the "additives" are to make the viscosity of dino oil flow better, detergent oil additives and friction modifiers, all lab produced to improve the oil features to meet the higher temperature, stresses and tight tolerances of today.

Back