free website stats program Synthetic changeover at higher mileage | Harley Davidson Forums

Synthetic changeover at higher mileage

sandman76

I've been reading here about how most everyone that is using synthetics changed at the first oil change(more or less).
I have a 2005 FLSTF with 45000 miles on it. Always have used HD petro oils since the bike was new. Would it be recommended to change to synthetic now? Has anyone done that?

Synthetic oils are known for their cleaning abilities inside the motor. The first oil change to synthetic will get black rather fast. It's a calculated risk to change to synthetic on a higher mileage motor because once the gunk is removed from the inside of the motor, there's a possibility of developing a leak. Not often but it happens.

Clean oil makes the gaskets and seals work by keeping them lubed and pliable, Syn oil does a better job here, so you could end up with a possible leak or two, or not worth a try IMO:s

I agree with what the others said. You could dump a quart out of the tank, add a quart of synthetic and put some miles on it to get the clean out cycle started. Then do a change out to full synthetic. My .02

Thanks for the input. It's due for a change now and wondered if it was advisable.

IF it were my ride, I would do the switch to a full synthetic..

I prefer Redline products though..:newsmile108:
My suggested oils

signed....BUBBIE

Back