free website stats program Switching to 21" front wheel | Harley Davidson Forums

Switching to 21" front wheel

franka

I'm considering changing to a 21" front wheel on my 2007 Road King Classic. Question is, can I run with the same stock fender, stock dual caliper/rotor setup?
If not, what changes need to be made? Also, what handling changes should I expect, I will leave the back wheel stock?

Your bike is going to look good. You can definitely expect some change in handling. The geometry of the bike has been changed. I did the 21" front and 18" rear on a FLHX. Looked great, but I didn't like the way it handled after doing it. JMHO

I'm doing a 21'' on front of a 07 FLHX, all the stock rotors and everything works with it, I'm installing a custom front fender with it though, but was told the stock fender works find, just have to round out the rear mounting holes to adjust it a little. I am switching to Metzeler 880's so I can keep front & rear tires matching, Cobra makes a nice front tire but can't get it in a size for the rear, does anybody know of any other tires that will match up for a 21'' front & 16'' rear for a 07 FLHX?

I'm considering changing to a 21" front wheel on my 2007 Road King Classic. Question is, can I run with the same stock fender, stock dual caliper/rotor setup?
If not, what changes need to be made? Also, what handling changes should I expect, I will leave the back wheel stock?

Check the application and make sure the wheel is for your year bike,calipers and rotors should work without any problems, stock fender will work but it woud look a lot better if you get an aftermarket one with the correct arc for a 21" rim/ as far as handling I don't like the way it handles with the 21 - it's more for looks, not enough rubber on the road for my liking - so in my opinion it's a trade off - looks vs performance

Iagree that the handling is poor at that with a 21'' Front wheel. Guess some people dont care how their scoot handles as long as it looks good and shiny. Never understood that. Id take a 16" over a 21" wheel on a bagger anyday. Front stock should work fine. Ive had a few that expanded and rubbed the fender at high speeds.

Thanks all for the input and after some extended research I've found that almost everyone who has gone to 21" does not like the handling changes. Therefore, I'm sticking with the stock 16 as handling and safe riding is extremely important to me.
After all, my bike already looks fabulous!

Thanks all for the input and after some extended research I've found that almost everyone who has gone to 21" does not like the handling changes. Therefore, I'm sticking with the stock 16 as handling and safe riding is extremely important to me.
After all, my bike already looks fabulous!

franka - you might want to consider going to 18" wheels - they make a lot of different styles that really look great and you can put the same size tires as you have on your 16" wheels or you can go even a little bit bigger if you'd like

Back