free website stats program Switching to 2002 and newer swing arm? | Harley Davidson Forums

Switching to 2002 and newer swing arm?

What are the gains of switching to the newer 2002 swing on an earlyer Flh. Many companys are selling kits to change to new bushing/bearing in the swing arms and newer 2002 swing arm. What would I gain and why?

Does that change the belt tension mechanism from the tension screws to the cam system? I've never had the screws, but I'm not enthusiastic about the cam system.

still looking for info on what the gains would be in changing to a newer swing arm.

IMO, there wouldn't be anything substantial to warrant the cost of the change. The newer ones may be a bit stronger but when is the last time you heard of a swing arm letting go in normal use.

IMO, there wouldn't be anything substantial to warrant the cost of the change. The newer ones may be a bit stronger but when is the last time you heard of a swing arm letting go in normal use.

Why do the after market companys offer kits to change to the newer swing. If there is no major other than cost of changing out every thing?

Perhaps the after market ones are primarily for those determined to use a fatter rear tire.

I pulled my left bag off to clean one day & found this.
100_0817.jpg

100_0819.jpg

I think the 2002 is supposed to be stronger. I welded mine & ran some strap to strengthen it, got over 7000 miles with no problems.

Toby

Back