free website stats program Swirling sound when cold | Harley Davidson Forums

Swirling sound when cold

david26

09 superglide Noticed a swirling sound either coming from my cam area or it could have somthing to do with the air cleaner suckin more air as the bike warms up. only hear it when its cold it seems to last longer on cold days and after a few min. of warming up it almost instently goes away not a horiable sound u wouldnt even notice it unless u r standing right next to the bike when it goes away then u notice how quit it just got. when the stock pipes where on it I could realy hear it with the short shot U real got to have your head aginst the engine to hear anything.
Wondering if anyone else notice this.

Thanks
Dave

David,

I've got to say that I thought mine was an exhaust leak (at the head) initially.

My rear cylinder pipe was 'hanging down' in the back so that it wasn't 'even' with the front one. That is, the two pipes weren't level with one another at the very back of the bike.

I loosened the rear pipe up at every mounting point and lifted it up a bit and then tightened everything up.

No more noise.

I'm wondering if this might help.

Jim

09 superglide Noticed a swirling sound either coming from my cam area or it could have somthing to do with the air cleaner suckin more air as the bike warms up. only hear it when its cold it seems to last longer on cold days and after a few min. of warming up it almost instently goes away not a horiable sound u wouldnt even notice it unless u r standing right next to the bike when it goes away then u notice how quit it just got. when the stock pipes where on it I could realy hear it with the short shot U real got to have your head aginst the engine to hear anything.
Wondering if anyone else notice this.

Thanks
Dave
I get this same thing from time to time and have determined that it is the oil filter trying to bypass the cold oil when its cold out. When it does it I can give it a little throttle and it will go away for a second and then come back when the idle comes back down. This only last for a minute or two till it warms up just a bit. Just my thought's any way.

I get this same thing from time to time and have determined that it is the oil filter trying to bypass the cold oil when its cold out. When it does it I can give it a little throttle and it will go away for a second and then come back when the idle comes back down. This only last for a minute or two till it warms up just a bit. Just my thought's any way.
Thats what I was leaning towards was just the oil pump pussin the thicker oil till it warms up and the oil thins out a bit it definatly last longer on the colder days but like i said after a few min of warming up it just goes away like somebody fliped a switch to turn it off.

Thanks
Dave

I think it is probably the idle air control letting in more air to compensate for the extra drag on the engine due to the thicker oil. After it warms up and the oil thins, it goes to a normal idle setting. Sounds normal to me.

Back