free website stats program Swinging Volt Meter | Harley Davidson Forums

Swinging Volt Meter

cowjammer

Every time I turn on my turn signals the needle on the volt meter swings back and forth ALOT! Is this a comon thing on the older bikes ? Its an 89. And is it worth tearing into the Fairing to fix this alone ?

Every time I turn on my turn signals the needle on the volt meter swings back and forth ALOT! Is this a comon thing on the older bikes ? Its an 89. And is it worth tearing into the Fairing to fix this alone ?
A co-worker had same problem. Turned out to be the voltage reg. going bad.:(

I would say depending on how much is "a lot" that it is pretty normal for an older bike with a smaller stator output especially if it has always done it.
The key is if it is charging properly otherwise.

Yea, its charging fine. I replaced the Regulater not long ago. It did it with the bad one also. I was wondering if those meters just get old and weak ?

Yea, its charging fine. I replaced the Regulater not long ago. It did it with the bad one also. I was wondering if those meters just get old and weak ?

Does it do it both sides, left and right signals? Even if yes, you might just take the bulbs out, clean up the base contact on the bulbs and in the sockets and then apply a thin layer of grease to the bulb base before reinstalling (use the right kind!). You may just have high resistance on the bulbs due to corrosion or bad contacts.

TQ

Yep my 87 does it too, was worse when I had the stock charging system, now that I have the 3 phase 40 amp system it goes between 12.8 down to 9 or 10 as they flash, always worse at lower RPMs. This is with brand new turn signals, replaced because the chrome was pitting.
On a side note, I bel;ieve you have the same dash I do with the vinyl pads? I took mine out and put in engraved metalized plastic plates, I think they look way better.

Last edited by a moderator:
My 95 Ultra does the same thing. Additionally, Mine will show 12.8 volts sometimes and 12.2 other times. When I turn on the radio and spot lights sometimes it goes below 12 but a check with a volt meter at the battery indicates the system is being charged adequately. Most puzzling to me. ANybody else have any ideas?

Bubba

My 95 Ultra does the same thing. Additionally, Mine will show 12.8 volts sometimes and 12.2 other times. When I turn on the radio and spot lights sometimes it goes below 12 but a check with a volt meter at the battery indicates the system is being charged adequately. Most puzzling to me. ANybody else have any ideas?

Bubba

Just took a lunchtime ride, as long as my RPM's are 1000 or above, it doesn't drop below 12 unless I have everything on. Since I usually idle at 1000 - 1100 range, and my battery is always good and charged,and showing 12.5 - 13.25v with the volt ohm meter, I'd say it's the gauge more likely then not.
But heck if I have everything going and stereo blasting, and use my cig lighter, I pop the relay, gonna have to wire that direct to the battery with it's own fuse. May do the amp that way too!

Yep my 87 does it too, was worse when I had the stock charging system, now that I have the 3 phase 40 amp system it goes between 12.8 down to 9 or 10 as they flash, always worse at lower RPMs. This is with brand new turn signals, replaced because the chrome was pitting.
On a side note, I bel;ieve you have the same dash I do with the vinyl pads? I took mine out and put in engraved metalized plastic plates, I think they look way better.

Sorry forgot the engravers web address was on that pic of my dash plates, here they are with out the URL.
Dashplts.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Does it do it both sides, left and right signals? Even if yes, you might just take the bulbs out, clean up the base contact on the bulbs and in the sockets and then apply a thin layer of grease to the bulb base before reinstalling (use the right kind!). You may just have high resistance on the bulbs due to corrosion or bad contacts.

TQ

It does it with the radio on, Just goes down a bit...Sounds like its the stator.

Back