free website stats program Swing | Harley Davidson Forums

Swing

gadams58

I have a 2002 Night Train. I want to put a 200mm rear tire on it. Is there a swing arm from another year or model that will work?

Thanks

The MoCo used to offer a wide swing arm for 200mm tire conversions but I believe it is now obsolete; they do still offer a wider swing arm for 180mm tire for the Dynas but, of course, it wont' fit. Titan Customs does offer several wide tire "kits" but they are pricey and I am sure there are other aftermarket wide tire kits as well.

Don't know what size tire you are running now but your swing are is the same as my '05 FXSTD and I have run the SE Dunlop 180 on the back in the past. Requires a bit of finesse to R/R the rear wheel assembly and you will need the OEM 17" rear wheel, or aftermarket version, from the Deuce; might find the OEM rear wheel cheaper.

If it were me and I had to have a wider tire out back, I would be putting together the parts and pieces to replace your OEM rear wheel with the Deuce version and the SE180mm rear tire.

I don't know a bit of what dolt does, but let me suggest, that my 08 softail custom has a 200mm back tire. You may be able to see if a swing arm from the 07 thru 10 softail will fit you bike.

I don't know a bit of what dolt does, but let me suggest, that my 08 softail custom has a 200mm back tire. You may be able to see if a swing arm from the 07 thru 10 softail will fit you bike.

I can't say for certain but the '02 softail frame, pivot shaft and pivot shaft spacers all have different part numbers from the '08 up softail parts. That does not necessarily mean that the later model parts cannot be retro fitted to the early frame but I have my doubts.

The fat rear tire craze burnt out a few years back but Heartland, Titan Customs and Phat Performance still, I think, sell conversion kits. Every kit I am aware of requires butchering the stock frame to attach the rear fender supports, etc. and cost north of $3K. Phat Performance used to sell a kit for the Deuce that did not require cutting up the frame but did require the 20mm belt and pulley and, IIRC, tire selection was limited to Metzler and Dunlop; ran north of $2K All 200mm tires do not measure 200mm and not sure if the Metzler and Dunlop options for the Phat kit are still available.

I can't speak for the OP but when one considers what such a conversion does to the already pathetic resale value of a used softail, the fact that the bike may not be ridden two up post conversion and the reduce handling affect post conversion; one has to wonder if the conversion makes sense for a daily driver. It doesn't for me but each to his own.

If I was the OP, I would be looking for a used Deuce 17" rear wheel, Vulcan makes a spacer required for proper fit and the SE180mm rear tire which is about an inch wider than the stock tire and call it good but that's just me. I wish him luck with the project and, of course, let us know how it goes and provide some photos of the completed project.;)

Back