free website stats program surge protector | Harley Davidson Forums

surge protector

Badgerw

I purchased a battery tender for my Heritage Softail. I live in Florida the lightning capital of the United States. Would it be wise to purchase a surge protector? If so how many Joule would be required to protect the electrical system on the bike?
WAP.gif

I put a surge protector in our house breaker panel. Only cost around $40, fits into an empty breaker slot and it protects every circuit in the house. Removed all worries for any appliances etc. in the home.

I put a surge protector in our house breaker panel. Only cost around $40, fits into an empty breaker slot and it protects every circuit in the house. Removed all worries for any appliances etc. in the home.

More info on this please, brand, where purchased? Thanks

A company called Delta Surge protectors offers a protection device for the Breaker panel or you can buy individual breakers also. Sqaure D , Cutler-Hammer, Seimens are a few manufactors to check out.

Not all surge protectors are the same. If you are looking for proctection against lightning, the cheaper ones have a slower cutoff time to increased voltage, therfore allowing more voltage thru the line and still cause damage to the device.
The more expensive ones offer better protection. I would not waste my money on a surge proctector for a battery tender but If I wanted to protect that new expensive 50" PLASMA TV then I would do some research and get the best I could afford.

I am not worried about the surge protector. I am worried about the electrical system on the bike if it is connected to a battery tender and I take a lightning strike.

Read above post.
Surge protects are for power line surges it you get nailed by lighting it won't stop it.
Lighting is not a surge.

Having worked in the telphone indusrty for the last 30 years I have seen all sorts of lightning strikes in the home. Depending on the distance from the strike that voltage may vary from a few hundred volts to a few million. At the low end of that scale a good quality surge protector does protect.

Back