free website stats program surge at steady throttle | Harley Davidson Forums

surge at steady throttle

trat

Ok getting my new, to me, sportster running pretty good now thanks to the help of you guys on the forum. I now have one more thing that bothers me. That is when riding at a steady pace say 50mph it gets a slight surge. Just enough to be annoying. To review....my bike is a 2000 1200XLH with a Mukini HSR carb. Since I have had it (about a month now) I have had idle problems which I cured with a rejet and adjustment of the pilot air screw. I also had trouble with the carb overflowing which was cured with a new float needle and float level adjustment. Also had some brake problems which were taken care of by a brake fluid flush. I am wondering if the surge could be related to an adjustment of the accelerator pump or possible vac leak at the intake. Also the VOES switch has been removed from the bike and I don't understand why! Is there some reason why this would be removed? The bike runs great with plenty of power. It starts and runs great but this surge is annoying!

Check for vacuum leak first, but you are probably a bit to lean at cruising speed re jet carb?

Ok getting my new, to me, sportster running pretty good now thanks to the help of you guys on the forum. I now have one more thing that bothers me. That is when riding at a steady pace say 50mph it gets a slight surge. Just enough to be annoying. To review....my bike is a 2000 1200XLH with a Mukini HSR carb. Since I have had it (about a month now) I have had idle problems which I cured with a rejet and adjustment of the pilot air screw. I also had trouble with the carb overflowing which was cured with a new float needle and float level adjustment. Also had some brake problems which were taken care of by a brake fluid flush. I am wondering if the surge could be related to an adjustment of the accelerator pump or possible vac leak at the intake. Also the VOES switch has been removed from the bike and I don't understand why! Is there some reason why this would be removed? The bike runs great with plenty of power. It starts and runs great but this surge is annoying!

Define your surge. At steady throttle it feels like accelerate, or it falls off a little. I attached a Mikuni tuning PDF if you don't already have it. There are lots of subtle tuning adj. that could be your surge. Some aftermarket ignitions say the VOES isn't necessary. I removed mine ('92 Dyna) for a while, then put it back on. I did notice less pinging under load with voes on.
http://www.mikuni.com/pdf/hsr_tuningmanual_021003.pdf

just not cruising steady seems to accelerate then slow down kinda like a nervous throttle but I don't see any change in rpm or speed so it it very slight but noticeable....I have the tuner guide downloaded already and it was a big help setting up the carb. Could the VOES being gone cause this? maybe timing changing?....I don't understand exactly what it does but I think it's similar to a vacuum advance on an older car, is that right?

The voes is a vacuum operated electronic switch that passes information to the ignition module to tell it when to advance and retard the ignition timing

If there is no voes fitted has the vacuum port on the carb been blocked of to prevent the carb from drawing air in

Brian

I just looked at the instruction sheet for my aftermarket (Dynatek) ignition system. It says if the VOES is not used, the purple wire should be grounded to the frame or engine. That gives a steady (early) advance curve.
My bike is 8 yrs. older than yours and a Dyna, but I think the same principal should be followed. I just looked at a XLH VOES on Ebay and it looks like it has two vac. line connections.
98 Harley Davidson Sportster Sport Vacuum Operated Electrical Switch Voes | eBay

The voes is a vacuum operated electronic switch that passes information to the ignition module to tell it when to advance and retard the ignition timing

If there is no voes fitted has the vacuum port on the carb been blocked of to prevent the carb from drawing air in

Brian
Yeah the vacuum port is capped.

I just looked at the instruction sheet for my aftermarket (Dynatek) ignition system. It says if the VOES is not used, the purple wire should be grounded to the frame or engine. That gives a steady (early) advance curve.
My bike is 8 yrs. older than yours and a Dyna, but I think the same principal should be followed. I just looked at a XLH VOES on Ebay and it looks like it has two vac. line connections.
98 Harley Davidson Sportster Sport Vacuum Operated Electrical Switch Voes | eBay
I don't know if I have a stock ignition or if it has been changed to an aftermarket.....If it is stock and VOES has been removed should the wire still be grounded? Or does that just apply to the aftermarket set ups? Also the tank is a larger aftermarket tank and the petcock is not a vacuum type. The previous owner is no help, He really knows nothing about the bike he bought it this way and had it for a couple of years.

Back