free website stats program Super Tuner at time of purchase | Harley Davidson Forums

Super Tuner at time of purchase

Swingbatter

My question is a relatively simple one hopefully. I purchased my 2004 Fat Boy through a Harley Dealer. The bike was one of 4 or five being consigned. The bike came with a super tuner. I wanted to DYNO the bike and when the HD Trained Mechanic hooked the laptop to the bike, he found that the super tuner was not the one burned for that bike, forcing me to purchase a new one. This is my first Harley so forgive my ignorance but is the dealer liable to supply the correct super tuner for this bike at the time of sale? Obviously, they did not. The saleman claims "sorry" he was on vacation and "would have given" me a discount on a new one. If I have to eat the purchase of the new one, so be it but I am at a disadvantage not knowing. My next step would be to approach the owner of the dealership as I know that the salesman lied on several occasions to me, a fact that I have proof of, about this particular bike. I only want what's fair and need some knowledgeable advise in this matter. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

i dont understand did you not test drive the bike and was it running fine. If so why not leave it alone then to pay for a new tuner and a dyno. And why u want to dyno it for?

Speak to the owner and voice your opinion that the bike should have the right program downloaded and if it didn't as told you by the tuner, they should make it right for you.

Bring up what you were told by the salesman and let them sort it out.

I would have a talk with the owner first. Do not purchase anything because once you do they will be less inclined to do anything. I agree with speedyron
that if bike is running fine why bother #1. If the way the dealership pratices are in selling a bike do you think the service would be any better and how do you think the dynoing would end up??? And why risk damage that may not show up later from dyno. #2 The service department when quality checking bike should have not just throwed a super tuner to bike knowing full well it has to be matched to bike, VIN specific. #3 Purchase a Dobeck TFI TFI Tuner From Dobeck Discounted (NEW OFFER) - Harley Davidson Community
and call it a day..

I would want the correct box. The VCI (Super Tuner Dongle) does alot more than just change your A/F ratio.
You can view and clear DTC codes, turn ON & OFF certain firmware features, record vital data while riding the bike, monitor almost all input and output sensors & more. Even if you never planned on using it, the correct unit should be with your bike. That means someone else has your dongle which won't work with his also.

It's worth at least $250 to me. I would give them a hard time

My question is a relatively simple one hopefully. I purchased my 2004 Fat Boy through a Harley Dealer. The bike was one of 4 or five being consigned. The bike came with a super tuner. I wanted to DYNO the bike and when the HD Trained Mechanic hooked the laptop to the bike, he found that the super tuner was not the one burned for that bike, forcing me to purchase a new one. This is my first Harley so forgive my ignorance but is the dealer liable to supply the correct super tuner for this bike at the time of sale? Obviously, they did not. The saleman claims "sorry" he was on vacation and "would have given" me a discount on a new one. If I have to eat the purchase of the new one, so be it but I am at a disadvantage not knowing. My next step would be to approach the owner of the dealership as I know that the salesman lied on several occasions to me, a fact that I have proof of, about this particular bike. I only want what's fair and need some knowledgeable advise in this matter. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.
I'm one of those people you love to hate, but love us when you need us, I'm an attorney. It simply has to do with what the contract said, was a Super Tuner included? Was the sale as is where is? If the later, as is, you bought the bike and tuner right or wrong it's yours. If it was to be in good working order and meets the criteria of fitness for a particular purpose, i.e., NOT as is where is, then you could have a case against the dealership. HOWEVER - you mentioned the word CONSIGNMENT, if it were a TRUE CONSIGNMENT your purchase was made from the private party NOT the DEALERSHIP! Thus, the dealership would have NO liability whatsoever. All private party sales are virtually as is transactions with rare exception. Hope that helps.

Great post, thanks for the input Tri L.

Would I be wrong in assuming that the dealer should get the necessary parts (dongle) from the previous owner being that the tuner cannot be accessed without it making it unserviceable ?

This is a good thread. The attorney beat me to it and said better. But with used bikes it's all a matter of what's said, implied or written. The tuner is not a stock part of the bike so if the dealer wanted to he could just remove the whole thing and sell it to someone else. But I would not think the dealer liable for a part the previous owner installed. However if one had unlimited resources and a good attorney it is very conceivable that the dealer could be influenced to do so. But normally (unless the attorney is your brother) it would not be cost effective.

I contacted the previous owner on my bike after I bought it. He told me he had a PCIII and a windshield on the bike and I should have gotten that with the sale. But I never saw them nor did I bargain for them. And when the previous owner told me what he got trade in on the bike, I didn't really feel ripped off since they gave him more trade in than I paid for the bike. Besides I had looked at enough similar bikes to know what a good price was for the bike.

Now if it were an OEM part and it was defective under a 60 day warranty etc then that would be a different story.

You would indeed think the dealer/salesperson would attempt to make the situation right. If one person has the wrong turner, there's another person that has the wrong tuner. (Allegedly there were 4 bikes on the consignment). Goodwill, and more importantly online good reviews, have become very important today. Many business simply are missing the fact that word spreads very quickly these days. A couple of phone calls to the original owner and subsequent buyers along with a little help from the dealer's dyno could solve the entire problem with a little effort.

Also, and I could be wrong, I thought someone told me along the way that the super tuner could be erased and reused on a different bike, of course you would loose the original information. Again, that's what I was told, true or not, I'm not sure have never tried.

Back