free website stats program Super Glide Custom | Harley Davidson Forums

Super Glide Custom

While doing a test the metal run I tried out a super glide custom. I have an 883 low and was undecided whether to trade up to a 1200 L or the super glide. I really enjoyed my ride on the super glide. Can anyone give their opinions on the bike?? I found the top heaviness that I get from my sporty is not there with this bike. It rode smoother but still vibrated quite a bit. I didn't get a chance to get too much lean in so what would the lean be compared to the sporty?? It had great pick up, not quite as much as the sporty but still enough to move in a hurry. Anyone's opinions on this bike. Would this be a wise choice to upgrade to?? I have no interest in the softail models right now.

While doing a test the metal run I tried out a super glide custom. I have an 883 low and was undecided whether to trade up to a 1200 L or the super glide. I really enjoyed my ride on the super glide. Can anyone give their opinions on the bike?? I found the top heaviness that I get from my sporty is not there with this bike. It rode smoother but still vibrated quite a bit. I didn't get a chance to get too much lean in so what would the lean be compared to the sporty?? It had great pick up, not quite as much as the sporty but still enough to move in a hurry. Anyone's opinions on this bike. Would this be a wise choice to upgrade to?? I have no interest in the softail models right now.

Super glides are very good machines and a very good buy been the entry model if you will to the big twin world:s

I am on my second Dyna, with the latest a 2010 FXDC. I found the Dynas to handle very well with a good base price for a big twin.

I love my 07 Super Glide Custom. Test drove some softails, they didn't have the torque or handling that the Dynas have. I never road a sporty, but think the Dyna may be a more comfortable overall ride with a lower center of gravity also. Not sure about the vibration you mentioned, mine vibrates a little when standing still but is very smooth moving. Super Glide is one of the best handling Harleys IMHO.

I'd suggest renting whatever model you're considering for a day and really get the feel of it.

Good luck deciding, you can't go wrong with any of them.

Jimmy

I have a deuce, but my brother had a super glide and I was really impressed with the ride it had. I think you would be happy with it.

I have an 07 and couldn't be happier. 40K miles in just over 3 years since purchased. It handles well, including the twisties, and has more (EDIT) (imho) than the softies. I will you however that the 1st thing I did was replace the stock seat after 2K miles.

Please read this...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks everyone for your responses. It is nice to hear that everyone enjoys theirs. I do not like the looks of the softails. The sporties and dyna's are my favorite looking bikes.

I will have to change the seat and handlebars though. I want a seat that brings me just a tad lower as I can only step on the balls of my feet instead of my complete foot. The handlebars are too far away and I am almost laying on my tank to reach them so definitely will need new ones.

I was really torn between sporty and super glide until I took it for a ride. I love it and know that is my next bike. Hopefully next spring.

Nothing wrong with the XL883L as a first ride...while true that the super glide is a very nice big twin, your choice was made by your inner voice. If it turns out you are a serious V-twin enthusiast no harm no foul...most all of us migrated from "humble" beginnings, though I do not consider my Sporty humble, just seriously the beginning of something golden...! Enjoy the ride and tell us after you have a few thousand miles on your Sporty...it may be possible you have TWO V-twins in your future, one for solo, one for two-up!

Well I owned two Sportsters, 1st an ironhead for 10 yrs or so and then a 96 1200S that I only traded this January for a 2010 Superglide Custom.
I am only 5ft 6in and don`t weigh much more then my helmet, I found the Superglide was easier to throw into corners then the Sporty and alott more grunt.

The size of the big twins put me off them for years, but as I got older I wanted more comfort and power.
The Sportster`s I owned were fun and I loved them, but the Superglide is machine I should of purchased many yrs ago.....buy it!

You can lower them if need be and there are many bar combo`s that will help with reach.

Dave.

Back