free website stats program SU Carbs | Harley Davidson Forums

SU Carbs

Polarbear

I have an S U Eliminator ll carb on my 77 FXE. I get a big belch through the carb now and then, thinking it was lean I began to richen the mixture, turning in the screw. The belching is all but gone but it is now turning the plugs black.(too rich) I Have not rejetted it yet. Should I? Or should I just swap it for an S&S? C'mon guy's and gals, What do you suggest?

Turning the screw will richen the idle mixture, rejetting is necessary to correct a lean running mixture. Sometimes if it is only slightly lean the mixture screw will compensate but it's best to rejet it to do it properly.

If it's just doing it at low speeds, you may want to just up the low speed jet one size but you have to see what size is in there now.

I was told by the tech at Rivera that "The carb is an eliminator II maufactured after 1996.More than likely it is jetted for an evolution motor which would be a little lean for a shovel." and that turning the adjustment screw would probably take care of it. But I believe I am just going to pull it and rebuild it along with a jet change.

Back