free website stats program Stuttering Problem | Harley Davidson Forums

Stuttering Problem

Here's my situation friends. I have a 2005 Road King EFI. I had installed Vance & Hines V02 intake, Vance & Hines Dresser true duals and Vance & Hines Fuelpak. Programmed Fuelpak with MAP from V&H and bike ran fantastic for about 3 months. Took a 1000 mile trip after all this installed and no issues. Even got about 45MPG. I then decided to change handle bars. Went with 13 inch apes and Magnum Chromite extension kit. After installing the handlebars, I started having a problem with bike wanting to stutter when accelerating. If I let out of throttle it sometimes dies. Strong smell of fuel. Engine light will come on but then go out. DTC codes are P0261 and P0263 and then PN 32915-05. I tried disconnecting the Fuelpak and going straight back to the ECM with no change (thinking maybe there was a problem with the Fuelpak). Really not sure where to start with this problem. I've read some older stuff on this forum with similar issues and some members suggesting maybe a System Relay or bad connection at the injector but they also asked about whether the member having the problem had a fuel management system so I wasn't sure if you guys think that changes the diagnostic or not. Thanks in advance for your help. These forums are invaluable for these types of issues.

Your problem started after handlebar install. Concentrate on all wires and connectors related to the install. Sometimes pins in connectors get pushed back and don't make good contact.

Thanks breeze. I had thought about that but the only thing that I altered were things like turn signals, start button, lights. Just couldn't imagine what I could have done there to cause the problem I'm having.

Jeff, thoughts on what causes those codes?
I agree with PETE, start at the source. If all was well before the handle bar swap I'd start there.

I'm not sure WHY changing bars would cause the issue you're having but I don't believe in coincidences. JMO.

The "efi" simply stands for "Electronic Fuel Injection" and means the codes are in the Fuel Injection system which is telling you something you already knew. The Fuel Injectors are supposed to get Battery Positive Voltage all the time from the System Relay. The System Relay is turned On and Off by the Computer. The System Relay should be turned On by the Computer any time the Ignition Switch is On and the Security Fob is near the bike. The Computer turns the Fuel Injectors On and Off by controlling the ground side of each Fuel Injector Circuit. When the computer has the Fuel Injector turned Off (which is most of the time even when the engine is running) the computer expects to see Battery Voltage on the wire that it uses to turn the injector On. If it doesn't it sets the codes you are seeing. Because you are getting codes for both injectors the most likely cause has to be something the two injectors have in common. This pretty much rules out the wires between the Injectors and the Computer and the Injectors themselves. Because you are not reporting any other codes, such as for an Ignition Coil or Fuel Pump circuit, the most likely sources of the problem are, in the order that I would suspect them: 1.) The Yellow Wire with the Green tracer that feeds battery power to the Fuel Injectors, the Ignition Coil, the Fuel Pump Fuse from the System Relay. The following are also possible causes but because you don't have codes for the Ignition Coil or the Fuel Pump I don't think the problem will be found here: 2.) The System Relay itself, 3.) Constant Power to the System Relay (Blue wire with Gray tracer), 4.) Ignition Switched Power to the System Relay (White wire with Black tracer), or 5.) The Computer System Relay Ground Control Wire (Green wire with Orange tracer) or 6.) The 15 Ampere ECM Fuse

But mostly I suggest that you get a wiring diagram for the bike . . .

Im sure the kill switch had to be rewired/extended during the handle bar change......

Started checking wiring. Found that the deutsch connector that I had to disassemble and re-assemble when I did the wiring extension for the handlebars had a bad crimped end and was loose. Ordered a new deutsch connector. Supposed to be here today. I'm 98% sure this will fix my problem. I believe the loose connection is the power from the run/stop switch. I'll keep you guys posted on the progress. I'll be installing the new connector tomorrow.

Update in case any body else has this problem. I changed out the deutsch connector today. Just cut the old one off and spliced back into the new one. That fixed the problem. Runs like a scalded dog now. I got a lot of extra chrome for xmas. Now I can focus on cleaning and putting on some chrome since I know she's ready to ride if I get a nice day. Thanks for all the input and ideas.

Back