free website stats program Sturgis starter problem , Help ! | Harley Davidson Forums

Sturgis starter problem , Help !

bandyrist

I have a 1998 custom softail 4 speed with Sturgis setup ! I pulled it apart to change main seal on transmission and installed new bendex gear , put it back together , now all I get is relay clicking when pushing start button ! I seem to have some sort of mechanical binding happening ! I tested without jackshaft assembly and it pulls in and starter lights up ! When I put jackshaft assembly back in , all I hear is starter relay clicking and solenoid gets warm but won't pull plunger in ! I also installed new fork in case old one was bent ! I have installed new solenoid , relay ... battery is good , have jumped ... to no avail ! Anyone out there had similiar problem ?

Thanks in advance ! Any help would be appreciated !
Pete

I have a 1998 custom softail 4 speed with Sturgis setup ! I pulled it apart to change main seal on transmission and installed new bendex gear , put it back together , now all I get is relay clicking when pushing start button ! I seem to have some sort of mechanical binding happening ! I tested without jackshaft assembly and it pulls in and starter lights up ! When I put jackshaft assembly back in , all I hear is starter relay clicking and solenoid gets warm but won't pull plunger in ! I also installed new fork in case old one was bent ! I have installed new solenoid , relay ... battery is good , have jumped ... to no avail ! Anyone out there had similiar problem ?

Thanks in advance ! Any help would be appreciated !
Pete

Pete, Isn't there some type of electrical contact when jack shaft is moved? Like when you don't disconnect the battery and move the shaft...it starts starter without the button pressed... ? memory

signed....BUBBIE

OK , bendex gear is now turning slowly ! Had battery load tested , everything good with full charge and cranking amps ! Any ideas ?

Thanks in advance ,
Pete

Thanks for input so far guys , here's what I got so far ! If you jumper big lug to little lug , starter spins perfect ! When you jumper big lug to small solenoid pin , jack shafts turns very slowly and no action on the shifter fork or anything ! Same thing when hitting start button ! I have isolated all wiring from starter system in case of ground bleed and still same result !

Thanks in advance !
Pete

Thanks for input ! Here is the solution to my problem , the spring that goes into the plunger was not bottomed out all the way in ! I put solenoid back on and away she goes ! It's always a stupid , simple problem it seems ! Thanks for the help !

Pete

Back