free website stats program Stumped | Harley Davidson Forums

Stumped

Hello world.
Been riding for about 18 months now, ever since my loving wife got me a Sportster for Fathers day 2010 while I was deployed to sunny Iraq. This past summer, I traded it in for a 04 Road King with EFI. Now for my problem:
I somehow managed to wreck the ball part of the joint on the front side of the linkage on saturday. Imagine my surprise when I stepped down on the toe shifter and the linkage came off the bolt. Got it back togather with a pair of zip ties. but when I was testing how solid it was, I noticed somethings:
1: There is a plug or bolt on the left side of the transmission, just above and behind where the linkage arm goes into the transmission. After further inspection, it appears to take about a #6 allen wrench, which I do not have.
2: This plug/bolt wiggled when the shifter was moved.
3: There seemed to be an ooze or leak from around this plug/bolt.
See attached picture. My questions are:
What is this plug/bolt and purpose served?
Should it be moving?
I know it shouldnt be leaking, does it just need to be tightened?
Should I be otherwise worried?
I rode it directly home, and havent messed with it, other than to clean it off a little and see what kind of tool it might take. Judging by the amount of (EDIT) around and below it, it has been like that for a while.
Thanks

Please read this...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Attachments

• TransPlug.jpg
    TransPlug.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 234
Last edited by a moderator:
That appears to be a centering pin. My guess is it is a 3/16" allen. Shouldn't be moving. Try tightening it up and take some brake cleaner and clean the area and watch for further seepage.

Zip Ties. Great idea, going to carry them in the bags to replace the old 20th century bailing wire.
Thanks.

Still good to have some of that old 20TH century bailing wire on the bike, it can get into smaller holes and a little stronger, saved me once.

always keep several sizes in my bags. same thing happened to me with the shift linkage on the way home. two jipties and a quick trip to the dealer to get anouther. someone told me with the sotck shift linkage you may find the end piece at an ace hardware. have no idea. if that works with the plug/bolt i may check it out myself.

Well, Im STILL stumped. Yes, its the centering pin. No, I havent replaced the shift linkage. yes, I got the right allen wrench. yes, it is still wiggling it self loose and oozeing a little. I keep an allen wrench in the windshield bag and tighten it up before I hop on, provided it has had a few hours to cool.
So, anyone have any ideas as to what can be causing this issue? I downloaded the service manual and have been unable to find anything. My choices are rapidly boiling down to to take the cover off and take a peek (I suspect that one of the shifter supports is loose or something, so the shift cam is torquing the shaft) or riding to Patriot Harley in Fairfax and shelling out the hundred bucks for them to do it. Really, if anyone has seen this before, and knows, please help. If it is something expensive, Ill just park the bike for the winter. If its just a matter of needing to replace the centering pin or something else simple, I have help with that.
Thanks

Thanks for the link, but I'm not worried about the shift linkage, its the leaky, wiggling centering pin. Im starting to think its the shifter pawl. After doing more looking, I have also been having issues going from second to neutral and neutral to first. Sometimes, when i THINK it is in first, the light goes out, I roll the throttle and ease the clutch, nothing happens. I have to stomp the rear peg, then really mash it back down into first. My logic is if the pawl is messed up, it may be causing the centering pin to move. So, i think I am going to be ordering a new pawl, a new centering pin, and a top seal as a start. Sound logical?

Back