free website stats program Stripped the Threads On Transmission Case On My Heritage | Harley Davidson Forums

Stripped the Threads On Transmission Case On My Heritage

pdh62

Done it last month ..........made me sick. Always tried to be careful to keep from doing it.
The mech at my HD dealership thought about using the helicoil but then opted to retap and use oversized plug. I did mention Time-Sert and he acted like he was not to keen on that....He said he has been very successful in the oversized plug repair..........
Course he made sure there was no leaks before I picked it up...I trailered it home ...
I put it away for the winter after I went to the gas station and filled the tank ......
That has been a over a month ago.

Well........noticed where oil is leaking out of the transmission plug.......
Going to call the dealership in the morning.....but I guess what I want to ask.... what is the "best permanate" repair in your all's opinion....I will not rule out a new transmission case if I keep on fighting this........Bike has low miles and I will have it for several more years to come..
Thanks for your all's help

Now that it has been over sized, it may be a challenge to put a time sert in.
You may be able to remove the plug and thread tape it.
But first see if it can be tightened, and if it feels like it will than remove it and put the tape on the threads and see what happens.
Oversized plugs make threads as they go in, sometimes for the last time.

Retap and an oversize plug was the proper fix as far as I am concerned. Probably just not tightened properly.

Heading to the Dealership Thursday.........theses are good people.....they will making it right.....
Thinking and hoping same as you STEVE07........

I put a time sert bushing in my tranny years ago and never looked back. Now I have a steel drain plug going into steel threads in the tranny, the way it should have been from the factory. It's very easy to cross thread the drain plug into the aluminum threads and then there's the leaks.

The mech used a rubber o ring to seal the plug..after looking the o ring seal was bulging a little on one side.....so then he fabricated a copper washer for the plug......should take care of it.....no leaks so far......

I use a/c o rings mainly because I have so many left over from jobs at work.
Nylon washers have also been working for me on many different types of drain plugs too.

Back