free website stats program Stripped out threads on primary oil drain hole | Harley Davidson Forums

Stripped out threads on primary oil drain hole

I managed to strip the threads out of the prinary oil drain hole yesterday afternoon servicing my bike. My question is what is the fix for this problem? My friends tell me just drill it out and insert a helicoil. I am fimilar with helicoils and have used them in many cases on small engine repairs such as engine heads, but i have never used them on my bike "09' hertiage classic" and in this instance there are fluids are involved.
Will it hold oil in the Primary without leakage and if so will i need a differant o- ring being im drilling a larger hole.
HELP!!!!:

I'm not trying to downplay the seriousness of your situation, but also keep in mind that the primary drain plug is not holding back a fluid under pressure like the engine oil drain plug.

If you decide to use a helicoil or other thread insert use some loctite lock n seal on the the thread insert and that should hold it in place and seal the threads between the insert and the casing and then normal drain plug and o ring

Brian

As I stated I am not liking the idear of any kind of threaded fittings that are not natural to the bike, and after hearing from you guys and reading a few past post and speaking with a few local HD Tech. an a MC repair shops, I have decided to go back with what belongs there, natural threads in the inner primary case. Shame on me if I EVER do something this STUPID again! Headed to NAPA to get one size larger self tapping drain plug. Thanks, will update when completed!!!!

Shame on me if I EVER do something this STUPID again!

Don't be so hard on yourself. I'll bet there isn't a single forum member who hasn't messed up at least one thing on his bike at some point. The important thing is that you learn from it.

And even more important is the fact that by sharing your experience with all of us, you may prevent dozens of people from making the same error.

Thanks!!!

Don't beat yourself up too bad - we've all been there. To you it seems like a huge problem right now, but it's an easy fix (with above recommendations) and after a few relaxing miles...you'll forget it ever happened.

Everyone makes mistakes, part of the learning process, do not beat yourself up over this, patience and you will be back in the wind:s

Don't be so hard on yourself. I'll bet there isn't a single forum member who hasn't messed up at least one thing on his bike at some point. The important thing is that you learn from it.

And even more important is the fact that by sharing your experience with all of us, you may prevent dozens of people from making the same error.

Thanks!!!

^^^^this^^^^^^^^^^well said!!

Back