free website stats program Street Glide Suspension | Harley Davidson Forums

Street Glide Suspension

doc_63

I had an 08 SG with the Air Ride shocks. I never did like it. I felt it rode very stiff and the small bumps were uncomfortable. Now I have a 16 SGS and I feel the same way. I was excited to see the S had gotten away from the Air Ride. But why can't the baggers get a nice soft smooth ride like the Softail? Are there any after market shocks that will make much difference? I'm open to suggestions.

Totally agree...HD doesn't place alot of extra thought into "padding the rear" of the FLHX...they like to keep it sleek/low. Most will swap the shocks for something better (e.g. Progressive, Ohlins, etc.). If you get lucky, like I did, someone will sell a set of shocks on this forum (check FS threads). Good luck & ride-on!

Street Glides are lower to look good (?), at the price of comfort. Electra and Road Glides have more suspension for comfort. There are alternative shock$, but you are at a 1" disadvantage to start.

Any suggestions on brand or style of shock that I might want to take a look at?

And how much difference would I truly notice with a better shock. I'm ready to spend the money if I can get a better ride.

Last edited by a moderator:
Moco cant sell their "premium shocks" if they put them on at the factory. I have no experience with aftermarket shocks but have read numerous bad reviews about Progressive's offerings. Ohlins are top shelf but need to be rebuilt at a cost in what seems to me to be a short period of time compared to the purchase price. There are a couple other brands but cant come up with them off the top of my head. Maybe Dolt will stop by, I know he has researched it to the very end and can give you the low down.

I have Progressive shocks front and rear on my '08 SG and, for the price, I've been very satisfied with them.

The FL suspensions, even after the so called upgrades in '09 are lacking. You just don't realize how much they are lacking until you get the suspension set up correctly.

First thing to do with the FLHX is install a set of aftermarket rear shocks, 13" not the OEM 12" and recover that lost 1" of travel. Trust me, it is worth losing a bit of "cool" for a better ride. A set of 159 Ohlins would be the first choice; they sell for $955 or thereabouts new but I have seen low mileage units go for $550-$600 on Ebay; I picked up a set a while back, NIB for $700 for my old '02 FLHT. Supersox and Legend have some decent offerings as well. Ohlins are rebuildable and IIRC, so are Supershox and maybe Legends and the typical Harley rider can go for years between rebuilds.

http://supershox.com/
http://www.legendsuspensions.com/

Then turn the attention to the front suspension and replace the guts with a set of Racetech springs and a set of their Gold Valve emulators and a lighter fork oil. The Racetech guys can guide you on spring weight, emulator setup and fork oil weight.

Get the sag set right, front and rear and you won't believe the difference in the ride and handling. Raising the rear will actually help the handling; lowering front and rear looks cool but does nothing to improve handling. If you ride a bar hopper, cool is good; however,if you like to actually ride a Harley and rip through a long right/left sweeper marked 55mph at 80mph; you need to upgrade the suspension.

Back