free website stats program Strange sound and a dead battery | Harley Davidson Forums

Strange sound and a dead battery

cromwell

Ok not 100% positive the two are connected. Ok go get on the bike for work this morning and I hear this sound it goes something like pssst click click click then nothing and then it repeats. So I go to start the bike and get the clicking sound of a dead battery. So I place the bike back in its home and connect it to the charger/tender. (Realizing I forget to connect it on Tuesday evening when I last rode her) So what can the sound be I have heard it before and it is not something that occurs often.

Thanks,

Tony

Did you have the ignition in the on position, could be a relay trying to energize but not enough enough power from the battery. I would think that your battery is fried. Get the battery checked.
Ken

cromwell; if you have voltmeter - run a test on battery posts...should get 12.6 - 12.8V if it's 100%. Anything getting below 12V puts battery @ 50% so hit/miss if starter cranks. Also check battery/starter cables (both ends) & make sure they aren't loose. Might also be good time to get some dielectric grease on cables.

If bike's a 2009 - battery should still be good...unless it was sitting for long time w/nothing maintaining. Good luck!

Last edited:
@ orgredneck, the sound does sound like it is coming from somewhere on that side of the engine, just not necessarly behind the aircleaner.

@ Iceman, I do have a Voltmeter and will be checking the battery this afternoon. I do know that I have not had any battery issues since I got the battery charger/tender, since my dead battery issue in November.

Thanks.

Tony

Well found the cause for the dead battery and the strange sound. It is a faulty ignition switch. The switch was not completely turning the bike off. So as I wait for my new switch to come in from the states the bike sits in its bed with the master fuse removed and battery tender on.

Will do. We had snow and ice on the ground here so I did not even take her out of her cozy spot. Until the new switch gets here she will only be used if no other transportation (wife's cage) is avail. The dealer advised against it due to the potential for 1) possible theft due to the fact that the switch will fail and the bike will alway be in the run position. 2) the switch completely shorts out causing a fire hazard. Looking at what the shop manual it appears that on the Sportster model the switch is intergraded into the wire harness. So in order to replace the switch they have to cut the harness and then solder and heat shrink the replacement into it. So I will be letting the dealer handle this operation.

So fair warning to all you Sportster owners. If you have an electrical gremlin look to you ignitition switch. Took the dealer all of 10 minutes with a Volt meter to determine that my switch was bad.

Tony

Back