free website stats program strange question? | Harley Davidson Forums

strange question?

poppi

2010 Ultra Classic. I have been experiencing a strange vibration and "tugging" like sensation that is felt in the rear and the footboards. It isn't constant but intermittent . It usually occurs between 2400 and 2900 rpm. Past that it stops. It feels like going over bridge grating or very rough pavement. It happens in brief intervals. Also feels like tugging on the antennas or the rea end. I removed the fllags I had attached, and then the antennas as well. No change. It doesn't affect handling nor are there any noises. It just feels weird. My frend says I'm crazy.. Anyone have any experience or ideas? Thanks

2400-2900 RPM in all gears?

All kinds of road surfaces?

Travelling straight? Curves? Accelerating?

What happens if you immediately disengage the clutch as soon as you feel this sensation?

Tire pressure?

Wheel balance?

Sorry - just a bunch of random thoughts but maybe one of them will jog someone else's memory.

I'd get it up in the air and check to see if the wheel bearings aren't dragging. My 85 EG used to eat bearings and that's about what you describe it felt like although I'd say it was more speed oriented than RPM.

All gears
All surfaces
straight or curves
Clutch engaged or disengaged
I check tire pressure the night before each ride also shock pressure.
I don't know about wheel balance. Bike has 8000 miles on it. Had the 5000 service done by a very reputable indy. Bike is completely stock. It has been going on for some time now. I initially noticed it after I attached flags. It just seemed to have increased lately. Doesn't matter if it is windy or calm. Maybe I am crazy:s Thanks for the reply Dr. Dolittle

I would look into the rear wheel bearings and the rear pulley bearing as being the source of your problem.

So if you take the flags off, do you still have the "tugging" in all gears at that same rpm range? The rpms are the only constant and that would lead me to suspect the engine area more than the running gear. Just my $0.02 worth.

Does your bike have the cush drive system on the rear wheel? There are some Post on the forum where the bolts have backed off and some have even sheared the heads off. Just a thought.

Just for the heck of it check your swing arm bolts. Mine were loose @ 11k on my RGC. Bike felt loose under me. What the hey, can't hurt.

Back