free website stats program Stop Moisture | Harley Davidson Forums

Stop Moisture

HDDon

Experienced Member
Contributor
Retired Moderators
ng on the coast of Fl we get a lot of moisture even if you keep your bike inside or covered. To keep the moisture off the bike I use a Goldenrod damp chaser. This is a 3 1/2' X 3/4" rod with a 50W heater that I place under the bike and then cover the bike with an old blanket. The Goldenrod can be purchased at most marine acc. stores. For a cheaper fix you can also go to a store that sells pianos and buy a 50W damper, this is the same as a Goldenrod only it is a plastic tube instead of aluminum. I mounted my damper on a 2X6 board.

03400_f.jpg

West Marine: Goldenrod Dehumidifiers Product Display

Last edited by a moderator:
You could also take a work light for $5 and a 100watt blub for $.50 and spend the remaining $30 on a case of Sierra Nevada Anniversary Ale, or for you more cost conscious people spend the $30 on a Big Twin EZ pull clutch cable adapter.

I prefer a light as I can tell whether it is working or not without opening my cycle shell but that's just me.

The golden rod is used in boats to control moisture without any problems. You can also get a porcelain light bulb fixture in any hardware store and mount it to a piece of 12X12 plywood and put it under the bike on the floor when covered over the winter. It will control any moisture and give off a bit of heat too that accumulates under the cover to keep things dry. A 25 or 40 watt bulb would do it nice.

What do you guys think about fire risk????

My setup is super ghetto. Just two porcelain light fixtures mounted horizontally on a piece of wood approximate 1.5 feet long with two 100watt bulbs in there. Keeps the bike dry as a bone. Also places lights under the front of the engine and under the back of the transmission for good flow. Haven't really notice a significant increase in my electric bill so I am sticking with the 100watt, probably too much, but hey bigger is always better. The lights last about a month so I figure at approx $0.75 for four it costs me maybe $5 a year plus electric, low price for no rust on the engine.

Oh and I have been using the setup above for over a year now with no issues with fires, etc.

I have used a Goldenrod "dehumidifier" for years in my gunsafe with great results . IMO, it's not really a dehumidifier in the literal sense of the word; that is, it doesn't actually remove humidity in my gunsafe. What it does is raise the temperature of the guns (and everything in the safe) so that moisture laden air doesn't condense on a cooler surface, namely the guns. It was well worth the price that I paid for it...

Back