free website stats program Stock Y pipes or true duals | Harley Davidson Forums

Stock Y pipes or true duals

Ridge

I was told the other day how to block my Y pipes cross over
with a plug you weld in. Is this a good idea or should I just leave it the factory way. Pros cons on this Please help
Ridge

The factory Y pipe serves a purpose. It helps with the scavenging of the exhaust. Blocking it off defeats this as does true duals.

So the Y pipe does service a purpose after all. I thought it was just a cosmetic thing. Interesting. I know what scavenging is, but the true duals don't have any type of scavenging at all? and if that is the case, then why would anyone want to install true duals? Is a true dual system suppose to be better than the stock setup?

So the Y pipe does service a purpose after all. I thought it was just a cosmetic thing. Interesting. I know what scavenging is, but the true duals don't have any type of scavenging at all? and if that is the case, then why would anyone want to install true duals? Is a true dual system suppose to be better than the stock setup?

True duals are mostly for cosmetics and dissipating the heat under the riders leg on the right side. They have no scavenging action that is associated with the Y pipe setup and do loose a bit of low end torque because of this.

Here is my amateur answer to your situation.First I have Rinehart True duels on an 07 Ultra.They look good and sound great,except for long rides,little too noisey then.My bike is still hot in city traffic,I have added heat shields and Freedom wings,both help alot.The noise police are really knocking at the door this time so paying $1500 to get a tickey don't make sense to me.Mileage is less I think.Trade in value is nil for the change down the road,because stock bikes return more of the investment.

If You want rumble,get slip ons and don't spend a fortune cause the "times they are a changing".:cry

Thanks for the info. Yea I still have the stock pipes on mine. I did put a set of wild pigs slipons and they sound awesome. I took the baffles out and wrapped the baffles with some really good fiberglass. To me it gave a little more low rumble sound, and it is not very loud. I also installed a Cobra FI2000 which helped alot on fuel. My last tank full of gas I got 185.2 miles to the tank, and that was just driving around the small town here. I am getting like 42 MPG. I guess I could streach that out a little more, but as soon as the gas light came on, I topped it off. I wonder what type of milage I would get on a long trip. Set the curise control at 70 and see how far she will go on a tank full. I will check that out and let ya know. Other than that I am happy with the setup of I have. I think I will keep the stock pipes after all. Make like easy I guess. At least it will keep the hood happy.

Y pipe does serve a purpose to cook your lower regions..

I know they say you lose low end but i dont feel it in the seat of the pants nor did mrs feel anything different in the riding since i changed to true duals granted there has been little riding but hey its 18 outside.. maybe because i didnt switch the size of head pipes i dont notice the loss most of the aftermarket got 2" or bigger pipes

OK you guys know a lot more than I do duals look cool and maybe save your leg from the heat but power is number one.
So I will leave the pipes stock. I am going to put the V & H
slash cut pipes on and the K & N and the TFI tuner.
I ordered my stage 1 kit today I just need to get TFI.
I was hoping to find a deal on one. 1250st is what I am looking for. Thank you guys again.
Ridge

OK you guys know a lot more than I do duals look cool and maybe save your leg from the heat but power is number one.
So I will leave the pipes stock. I am going to put the V & H
slash cut pipes on and the K & N and the TFI tuner.
I ordered my stage 1 kit today I just need to get TFI.
I was hoping to find a deal on one. 1250st is what I am looking for. Thank you guys again.
Ridge

This is about the only deal you will get unless you were in the service.

TFI Discounted - Harley Davidson Community

Y pipe does serve a purpose to cook your lower regions..

I know they say you lose low end but i dont feel it in the seat of the pants nor did mrs feel anything different in the riding since i changed to true duals granted there has been little riding but hey its 18 outside.. maybe because i didnt switch the size of head pipes i dont notice the loss most of the aftermarket got 2" or bigger pipes

I couldnt agree further, these guys who say they can feel the torque loss " in the seat of the pants" are imagining things, espically with the stock smaller head pipe, your not going to notice, it all in who you ask.

Back