free website stats program Stock Air Filter restriction | Harley Davidson Forums

Stock Air Filter restriction

wilks3

Hi All, I wanted to see how much restriction the stock air filter was. I took the forward breather tube off and stuck in vac hose into air filter, then routed to vac gauge tie-wrapped to handlebars.
Riding like I do up to 60 MPH NO vacuum observed. Now bike in 3rd gear went to WOT, a steady 1" vac.
4th gear WOT, 1" vacuum.
5th gear WOT, 1" vacuum.
6th gear WOT, 1" vacuum.
So, to me, if your not gonna ride it like you stole it, the stock air filter ain't that bad. This is with 4500 miles on filter, New one might be better.
So, If I add a S&S teardrop air cleaner assembly, riding like I do, all should be good in air/fuel mixture land.
Thought this might be of interest to some of you guys/gals!!!
Ride Safe
wilks3 :D
:USA

Last edited:
wizard, If you had a K&N you can test as I did. Simple to do. Would like to know!
wilks3
:USA

At least on my stock air cleaner, it has a front scoop that kinda "rams" the air into the cleaner when moving forward. I would bet that offsets a 1" vacuum that the filter may have (?)

The scoop has to have some effect on air pressure.

I don't know if that much is rammed in with stock air cleaner cover. I did have the cover on when doing my test to get a true apples to apples reading.
wilks3

Back