free website stats program Sticky neutral | Harley Davidson Forums

Sticky neutral

ausibatla

G'day fella's. Hope you can advise on my problem. I have just bought a customised 1988 Springer and am having a hard time finding neutral.
I've read the post about rolling while selecting it but it doesn't work.
It's either in first or second and the neutral light is on when it's in these gears while trying to get it. After messing around for the length of a change of traffic lights it'll give a little click and all of a sudden it's in. Once in neutral properly the light will become brighter than it was while it was jumping from first to second. Weird, I know.
Once I'm ready to roll again and drop it into first, it goes in with a clunk and the neutral light goes out and stays out when shifted into second as well. It only lights up in first and second while searching for neutral.
Open to any and all advice.
Cheers.
:bigsmiley23:
:AUSTRALIA

My first thought would be to check your tension on the primary chain. If that is correct you should proceed to adjusting you clutch and clutch free play.

Thanks HDDon for the advice. Free play is fine as is adjustment. Never thought primary chain could affect selecting neutral. Will check it out.
Cheers.

ausibatla Any luck? The bike I am getting has the same problem that the previous owner has just "delt with" rather than fixing it. I plan to fix it.

ausibatla Any luck? The bike I am getting has the same problem that the previous owner has just "delt with" rather than fixing it. I plan to fix it.
droach3, thanks for the reply mate. But unfortunately no luck.
If you get yours soted please let me know.
Cheers.

Back