free website stats program stereo to mono | Harley Davidson Forums

stereo to mono

Spike

I am planning on purchasing a new set of headsets for my 2004 Ultra Classic for both the driver and passenger. However, my wife has a hearing impairment in one ear so a mono headset would work best. I am not aware of any mono headsets compatible with the Ultra's communications system. Does anyone know of mono headsets? If not, does anyone know of a device that converts the input to the headset from stereo to mono?

Simple-if you really need to have monaural audio, just tie the Tip & Ring together on the plug of a stereo headset. If you don't know how to do that I'd suggest that you have an "electronics" guy do it for you. That would be a lot easier (& cheaper) than other options.
Hope that helps. Cheers!

Simple-if you really need to have monaural audio, just tie the Tip & Ring together on the plug of a stereo headset. If you don't know how to do that I'd suggest that you have an "electronics" guy do it for you. That would be a lot easier (& cheaper) than other options.
Hope that helps. Cheers!

Doing that will cut the overall impedance in half. At low levels, this might not be a problem , but at higher volume it might damage the radio.

HD radios are expensive and I would be reluctant to do so.

Just my 2 cents worth

Hope that helps. Cheers!

What Opaka Lips referred to is there is a 3 ckt jack (femaile receptacle / male plug connection for stereo operation males is usually ...tip is usually left, ring is usually right and sleeve is usually the common (return). Check your manual for the jack wiring. Once you determin the circuits and color wire codes from your service manual or radio instruction manual, you should have no trouble. :s

Dangerdan is partially correct...if your headphones were 4 or 8 ohms, they would indeed lower the resistance and possibly the radio...however even worse...without an attenuator (rheostat variable resistance in series with the left and right (in series with the return, so both left and right would decrease if paralell connection is not planned out. Just a 1/2W of power is enougth to hurt your ears...imagine of the vendor had just made circuit passthrough, you would not be hearing anything, as all that power would "fry" the earphone-headphone driver elements in your stereo or damage the phones thin wire circuits.

Last edited:
Back