free website stats program Steering head CLUNK! | Harley Davidson Forums

Steering head CLUNK!

Sunnysideup

The time has come for me to get this repaired. Under all but the slowest most gentle stops I get a pretty good clunk now. Using the search provided here I found what appears to me as being an excellent link:

WideGlideClunk

Any helpful suggestions, comments, or ideas?

The time has come for me to get this repaired. Under all but the slowest most gentle stops I get a pretty good clunk now. Using the search provided here I found what appears to me as being an excellent link:

WideGlideClunk

Any helpful suggestions, comments, or ideas?

This thread might give you some ideas:Harley Davidson Community

There was a point a few years ago that some were experiencing a front end clunk on dyna twin cam models it was eventually traced to the fuel tank front mount bolts not being tight enough and the fuel tank was clunking on the front mounts

Brian

Brian, not saying that those bolts aren't loose also (I will check for sure) but I can actually feel the motion through the bars on stops. I guess I have lived with the clunking of the transmission on downshifts, it just kinda fit in!!!!!!!!!! Like the final "clunk".

There was a service bulletin that came out with respect to this exact problem in 2008.
I have a 2006 Streetbob as well. I had the same issue with the steering head clunk.
I went to my HD Dealer and got the kit for free.
Easy fix.

M-1215 January 3, 2008
STEERING STEM NUT/WASHER
Purpose
This service bulletin is to inform dealers of updated parts and
service procedures to eliminate loss of clamp load on upper
steering stem nut. Normal warranty applies for service performed.
Motorcycles Affected
• 2006-2007 Dyna models
• 2008 and earlier FXDWG
• 2008 and earlier FX Softail models
• 2008 and earlier VRSC models
Required Dealer Action
If customer is experiencing any of the following conditions,
perform the service procedure for the appropriate model as
explained below.
• Looseness in front end
• Loss of clamp load on upper steering stem nut
• Front end clunk
Dyna and FX Softail Models
See list of affected motorcycles above. If any of the affected Dyna or FX Softail motorcycles are experiencing front end
looseness, order kit with your dealer
HEAD WASHER KIT INSTRUCTION SHEET
(-J04469) to install the kit.

Cdn-Bigfoot thank you! I'll call my dealer on the phone tomorrow and see what they have to say, need to order new front and rear motor mounts anyway. Glad I decided to post my problem.

Cdn-Bigfoot thank you! I'll call my dealer on the phone tomorrow and see what they have to say, need to order new front and rear motor mounts anyway. Glad I decided to post my problem.

Copy and take it with you so they dont play dumb:D

Back