free website stats program stator | Harley Davidson Forums

stator

brb4me

I tested stator for ac volts and had 40 vac at 3000 rpm, but ohm meter one leg to ground 0 ohms-dead short. this is on both legs. is the stator bad?

Some times stators will put out voltage on & off when they are going out, if you are getting a ground off the stator pins, the stator is bad. If you open the inspection cover and get a burnt smell, thats a dead give away also. I think 0 ohms would be a open and not a short to ground, so the stator should be all right. Have you checked your voltage regulator & battery?

I always thought that 0 onms was OPEN or no circuit not a ground or short.:s

Full meter deflection is a dead short, but then again I'm not thinking too clearly yet :D

I agree w/dangerdan on this one... if you put the mm on ohms scale & touch the leads together it's "0" resistance.

0 ohms is a s/c

I agree w/dangerdan on this one... if you put the mm on ohms scale & touch the leads together it's "0" resistance.

You guys are absolutely correct.:D

I put the few brain cells that are working again to a test and realized that 0 Ohms IS indeed the opposite of what I was thinking not realizing at the time that the "0" is at the full deflection of the meter, not the other end.

Maybe in a couple more months there will be a few more brain cells working again. It's not easy being me :34:

Maybe in a couple more months there will be a few more brain cells working again. It's not easy being me :34:

Glider, when that happens to me, I just tell them "So I made a mistake. But I was at WoodStock!"

Then they seem to understand!:D

You guys are absolutely correct.:D

I put the few brain cells that are working again to a test and realized that 0 Ohms IS indeed the opposite of what I was thinking not realizing at the time that the "0" is at the full deflection of the meter, not the other end.

You're still one of my Hero's...:D

Back