free website stats program stator/voltage regulator | Harley Davidson Forums

stator/voltage regulator

89 FXRS

After asking around some seem to think if you need to replace your voltage reg. that you should replace the stator at the same time/ while others say that you don't - if the stator checks out (not grounded and is putting out the correct amount of voltage) then changing it is not needed. Both were changed aprox. 6-7 thousand miles ago. The bike is a 1989 FXRS. Any comments from people who have had any expierince with this would be great - thanks

I'm the dumbest on the forum when it comes to electrical issues, but I'll try to parrot what others have posted until someone else jumps in.

It is my understanding that if one or the other of the components you mentioned starts to go bad, it puts added stress on the opposite item and accelerates its demise. Even if everything checks out NOW, the "good" part will almost always have a shorter lifespan than normal.

Good insurance to replace both while you've got the bike apart!

I'm the dumbest on the forum when it comes to electrical issues, but I'll try to parrot what others have posted until someone else jumps in.

It is my understanding that if one or the other of the components you mentioned starts to go bad, it puts added stress on the opposite item and accelerates its demise. Even if everything checks out NOW, the "good" part will almost always have a shorter lifespan than normal.

Good insurance to replace both while you've got the bike apart!

Very well said DR, too many times we push our batteries too far and end up paying the ultimate price, while it may sting a bit price wise i too would opt for new charging system and peace of mind and if possible an upgrade to higher out put alt kit if available JMO Capital Jack

Originally Posted by 89 FXRS
Both were changed aprox. 6-7 thousand miles ago.

Are you saying you have lost another voltage regulator within 7 months?

No Hoople - I think you mis read my post - it was 7 thousand miles ago, not 7 months ago

I may be in left field..

So both were changed 7K miles ago, and you need to replace it again or it appears your bike is presently not charging?

Are you saying you have lost another voltage regulator within 7 months?

I may be in left field..

So both were changed 7K miles ago, and you need to replace it again or it appears your bike is presently not charging?

Don't feel bad at least you're in the ball park lol
and yes it doesn't appear to be charging - I put a volt meter on the battery and when I increase the rpm's there is no change in output - at this point I think it's the regulator, I checked the output straight from the plug of the stator and it's putting out the correct amount according to the factory service manuel specs.

Don't feel bad at least you're in the ball park lol
and yes it doesn't appear to be charging - I put a volt meter on the battery and when I increase the rpm's there is no change in output - at this point I think it's the regulator, I checked the output straight from the plug of the stator and it's putting out the correct amount according to the factory service manuel specs.

Volts @ idle should be around 13 - 13 .5 bad regulator:s

I know I'm in the minority here, but if the stator is putting out the correct AC voltage than I would install the voltage reg. and ride. Now if you open the derby cover and you get that burnt smell than change the stator also. I also think that 7K miles is a pretty short lifespan for either part.

Of course it is best to replace them both at the same time. That is always the smartest thing to do if money permits,,,but

In almost all cases, a bad or shorted regulator will almost always take out a perfectly good stator.
But, a bad or shorted single phase Stator will not do damage to a perfectly good Regulator.

It's actually difficult (not impossible but difficult) for a bad stator to take out a Good regulator especially on single phase systems..

**More importantly you need to iron out the reason why your on your 3rd regulator in under 10K miles. (original, replacement 7K ago and now today)**

Back