free website stats program Stator Purchase | Harley Davidson Forums

Stator Purchase

propflux01

Wifes 2005 883 burned out another stator. Bike has 19K on it. 1st one went out at 16K, this weekend it went out again. Going to replace both reg and stator, but have a couple Q's:

1. Is an 883 sportster stator same as a 1200? Some sites list
2004-2006 Sportster 1200 but not 883.

2. Where is best places to get these items?

Should be the same part number used on both 883 and 1200 Sportsters. Do you have a service manual to help you do the deed? A bigger question is why did it fail...in any qualtiy issue "root cause" becomes paramount. Fixing symptoms or aftermath damage caused by most common cause is a bad battery...forces stator to work harder to work into a shorted cell or two and a stressed or damaged regulator can finish it off in a hurry.

Last edited:
I would stay with the original HD product for electrical items.

Mark at M & M will usually be at 20% off list and is a great guy to deal with.

M&M Cycles

Yes, I have the manual, its already removed ( I seem to have some experience doing it lately! lol). Battery is Original OEM, but is checking good. Was just trying to find something better and cheaper than the OEM HD parts.

I understand what you mean but better AND cheaper is usually hard to come by. I would also consider replacing that original battery while at it but then again I have always been good at spending other peoples $ :D

Here's another source.... "Cycle Electric", They specialize in Stators/Regulators for American made bikes. They have a good Web site. I like their continuing improving aspects of their company's products. I think they offer one of the best if not the best Stators available... IMHO

I would also check very closely the condition of your battery. A weak battery will overwork your components of the charging system...

Here's another source.... "Cycle Electric", They specialize in Stators/Regulators for American made bikes. They have a good Web site. I like their continuing improving aspects of their company's products. I think they offer one of the best if not the best Stators available... IMHO

I would also check very closely the condition of your battery. A weak battery will overwork your components of the charging system...
I checked with them but couldn't find a figment for the 883.
WAP.gif

I understand what you mean but better AND cheaper is usually hard to come by. I would also consider replacing that original battery while at it but then again I have always been good at spending other peoples $ :D

I LIKE the above...$$$

I have a 2006 sport 1200R bought new.
It went thru 4 stators/regulators from counting the original as #1

Original electrical went bad Early(#1), replaced like yours(#2), It went Bad right away, second replaced(#3) went right after warranty was over. New Battery was installed with the (4) 3 new ones in ALL.
All work was done at HD shop and the last one is the only one that got a New Battery...

HD took care of the last one and IT WAS after warranty was over
(had to fight a little to get that done).... I paid for the labor and they furnished ALL the parts IF done at the HD shop including the new battery...

I and Many have checked the battery and Never found it to be a problem BUT HD said it must be and did furnish a new one when all was replaced again.....

I would replace the battery as for my Hind Sight is Now 20/20.

I haven't had any more troubles but I also don't run the sporty as much...
39,000 on it now, and the last problem at about 34000 (? memory 6 mos. Out of 2 yr. warranty)

The bike and the HD Co. went thru many test Each Time.. No one could figure WHY it went thru so many stators/regulators.... (stator would Burn and both would parts would be replaced each time.)

The battery was Bad when I first Bought it. When I went to pick up the bike, it had gone dead and had to be replaced at delivery...

THESE Problems really had me and the techs baffled......

The battery MAY have been the culprit to start with and lay waiting for the new Parts to go in then GO Bad..

signed....BUBBIE

I would give Cycle Electric a call re fitment. If they have an alternator kit for your bike, I would then check if Dennis Kirk (or a discounter of your choice) has it for a better price.

I replaced my charging system with a Cycle Electric alternator kit upgrade from Dennis Kirk for about $50 more than the cost of an HD rotor and stator without a discount.

Back