free website stats program Stator Output | Harley Davidson Forums

Stator Output

Hi All,

I have a question concerning the stator output on a 2005 Ultra Classic. I noticed on my last ride the volt meter did not move off of 12 volts. I hooked up my meter and got no reading over 12 volts regardless of engine RPM. Should be around 14 to 14.5 volts or so.

Battery is almost new. It measured 12.8 volts after sitting overnight so it looked to be good. I disconnected the stator from the voltage regulator and measured the voltage generated by the stator. It was between 25 to 50 or so volts at different RPM's. So to me the stator voltage looked good.

Next I measured the resistance between the stator pins (there are 2 pins) and frame ground. I got a reading of around 6 ohms (basicly a short circuit) . It is my understanding it should read open circuit between the pins and ground.

My question is can the stator develop voltage even if it is grounded. Then if so it must not generate enough current to charge the battery or the voltage regulator is bad.

Thanks

Steve

-An easy regulator diode test is with a low voltage test light. Touch each pin in the regulator connector from a good ground with the tester, if the light comes on the diode is bad. Faulty diodes will cause the battery to drain out even with the ignition off.

You can have good stator out when you go pin to pin with and have a good resistance pin to pin but at no case you read anything but open circuit when you go stator pin to ground. If you do the stator is shorted to ground. Make sure you are going to a known good ground. The earlier bike year stators are single phase and the newer bikes are three phases. You can do a diff test remove the derby cover and get close to opening and smell it, you will get a nasty burnt smell coming from primary. If you have to replace the stator I would replace both. I would recommend getting a cycle electric stator and rectifier regulator.

Thanks for the replies. Looks like you can have a shorted stator and still develop voltage when running. Appears it is new stator and regulator time.

Thanks
Steve

Back