free website stats program stator help | Harley Davidson Forums

stator help

zoood

Product Contributor
Im looking at maybe changing out my stator for 1993 Electraglide. Originally has a 32 amp. Curious to know if there's a 45amp for my year. But first I would like to know how to test if mine is bad. I put in a new voltage regulator. But that didnt fix it. My amp gauge is showing 11.5 volts. Yesterday it was 12.5v. If I end up changing out the stator with a 45 amp. What else would I need?

RJ/zoood

I just put a new voltage regulator in this morning.

Interesting I would expect to see at least battery voltage IE full charge 12,7 volts, tho a bad stator can and will do that, make sure the reg is grounded and run the test from the link i sent:s What is the condition of your stator plug and is it in all the way?

I just put a new voltage regulator in this morning.

Harley Davidson Forums You will be surprised how many diodes fail this test, Also I try to do ALL my tests with a full charged battery so I have accurate results and less chance of a full field form the stator ( unusual readings)

Interesting I would expect to see at least battery voltage IE full charge 12,7 volts, tho a bad stator can and will do that, make sure the reg is grounded and run the test from the link i sent:s What is the condition of your stator plug and is it in all the way?

Ill check the ground in the morning on the regulator. The stator plug, when I changed the regulator out. I noticed oil on the plug. Not sure if the oil source is external or internal. Its been a while since I changed a stator, but I do remember that if a plug has oil on it. It meant the stator was on its way out. Correct? And plug was in all the way on the one I replaced and the new one as well. Im gonna go put the charger on the battery for testing in the morning.

RJ/zoood

Ill check the ground in the morning on the regulator. The stator plug, when I changed the regulator out. I noticed oil on the plug. Not sure if the oil source is external or internal. Its been a while since I changed a stator, but I do remember that if a plug has oil on it. It meant the stator was on its way out. Correct? And plug was in all the way on the one I replaced and the new one as well. Im gonna go put the charger on the battery for testing in the morning.

RJ/zoood

:s I will look for your results in the morning, oil on the plug is never a good sign IMO of tearing down cases

:s I will look for your results in the morning, oil on the plug is never a good sign IMO of tearing down cases

Jack, the results are in.

Voltage regulator to ground is fine

Test light to stator plug @ each female connector (2 places) while bike is running. Test light didnt illuminate at either test point. Instructions said stator good if no light at either connector.

AC test out of stator @ 1000rpm 19.4 volts
@ 2000rpm 34.4 volts

I have two batteries tied in parallel. Voltage is 12.5 and this is after I had them on the charger all night. I'm thinking the batteries are the problem. What's your input?

Jack, the results are in.

Voltage regulator to ground is fine

Test light to stator plug @ each female connector (2 places) while bike is running. Test light didnt illuminate at either test point. Instructions said stator good if no light at either connector.

AC test out of stator @ 1000rpm 19.4 volts
@ 2000rpm 34.4 volts

I have two batteries tied in parallel. Voltage is 12.5 and this is after I had them on the charger all night. I'm thinking the batteries are the problem. What's your input?
:D my dad always said, start at the source and work out, sure sounds like a load test on the batteries is in order, you cannot trust nor charge a battery with a dead short, you will always get false readings when testing as well

:D my dad always said, start at the source and work out, sure sounds like a load test on the batteries is in order, you cannot trust nor charge a battery with a dead short, you will always get false readings when testing as well

How do I do a load test?

Back