free website stats program Starting Problems | Harley Davidson Forums

Starting Problems

Kjay

I have a problem get started, I have changed the starter, spark plugs, spark plug wires, ignition coil, starter relay, crank position sensor, fuel filter and battery. I am still having problems getting started now and then it will start and when it does it seems to idle fine but the rpms will rise and lower as the lights dim and brighten. I have checked the wiring and grounds and nothings seems loose unless I am missing somthing The speedometer has stopped working completely, so I can't see if I am getting any codes but I am cancelling my turn signals. I was running fine and then all of a sudden it started missing and seem not to be getting enough gas the last time I rode it. I just read a thread about the vss and will check that later today, but I am thinking that is probably not the issue because I am cancelling the turn signals but I know it don't hurt to check. Battery voltage is fine and I am getting a spark and the fuel pump primes for the 2 or 3 seconds like it should. When I try to start it sort of pops like it is going to start with each revolution I guess of the crank shaft, but doesn't sort of like it is out of time. The bike is a 2006 Dyna Super glide custom. I don't know where to turn. Any suggestions. I kind of feel maybe go buy another speedo or the vss first, but I think the speedo is dead. When it was working it went on and off a few times then went off completely and the needle was at zero, then one day the needle just drop to bottom dead center. I need HELP and I don't want to go to the stealership.

From what you describe, I would be looking for a bad ground. It would effect various things on the bike. I would also go for a VSS instead of a speedo for starters. It controlls a number of things on the bike.

Fill in you avatar area with the year and correct the type from "dyan" for future use.

Hey Glider, Thanx for the info I will check it out today and let you know what happened.

The VSS I am referring to is the Vehicle Speed Sensor for the Speedometer.

Well I did replace the VSS but that did nothing so I would figure I need a new speedometer that way Ican get diagnostics codes maybe. I your opinion what is the best way to check for grounds?

Well I did replace the VSS but that did nothing so I would figure I need a new speedometer that way Ican get diagnostics codes maybe. I your opinion what is the best way to check for grounds?

Volt meter, but if you have a test light clip the alligator clip on the positive at the battery, with the probe end all metal you touch will light up the test light if you have a grounded circuit. Keep in mind it does not tell you how good the ground is that is where a multi meter would be better

Back