free website stats program Starting problems | Harley Davidson Forums

Starting problems

173ABN

:panic1993 softail having trouble with starter. Problem is when hitting start button starter just clicks sometimes does engage and starts. With jumpers it helps but not always. checked battery it is ok, changed both pos and neg battery cables.I am wondering if it could be in the switch and how to check it. Also after it fires and runs for a while everthing seems fine until the next day. I live on the gulf in Florida and the salty air is a (EDIT) on electrical. Any ideas
THANKS

Please read this...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
First I would say to check the power on the green wire of the starter solenoid. If you get this no start condition use a piece of 14 gauge wire and jump from the +battery to that terminal with the wire removed. This will tell you if it is the wiring or the solenoid. If it cranks, it's probably the wiring or the starter relay. If it doesn't crank, suspect the solenoid contacts and either clean the contacts by disassembling the solenoid or replace it.

And while your at it spend 20 bucks and get a remote starter button and end the days of being stuck,jel

I have a '91 Dyna, and have had similar problems with my bike. Went through all the debugging stuff with the battery, cables, starter, solenoid, etc. In my bike's case, it turned out to be the cheap bar switches that HD used. I disassemble the handle bar switches on the right side, cleaned all the corrosion salts off the contacts (they are copper, so it's that green salt), sprayed everything with electronic contact cleaner, sprayed everything with spray lube (Liquid Wrench) and then reassembled. No more problems. Remember, I had already eliminated battery, cables, starter, etc. as the problem. Point above is don't forget these switches in your debugging process.

TQ

That's just the chrome replacement cover (the first one). The one mentioned above has the starter plunger in it used to start the bike.

DS-272214.jpg

Back