free website stats program Starting problems | Harley Davidson Forums

Starting problems

RTKIRK

I have 1994 Fatboy that's becoming tempremental. I can go out and crank it right up and ride for 3 hours or 15 minutes, and shut it down. 30 minutes later it won't start. All I get is a clicking sound, which I think is coming from the solenoid. 30 minutes later it will start with no problem. Someone I know with a 1994 Heritage had the same problem, and told me this year was notorious for it. They put a solenoid starter button on it for backup. Should I go with the same solution to the problem or go thru the checks that the hd dealership has advised? Appreciate any help.
Also, I had a brand new battery installed a few weeks ago.

Last edited:
A new battery was installed a few weeks ago along with a 15,000 mile check-up.

Ah ha! But if you didn't do it yourself, very likely whoever did would not have taken the time to do what Glider suggested above. Also, you might find that the terminals are not tight.

If it keeps doing it after you have cleaned and resecured the cables, try hooking a jumper from the positive to the connection on the starter. Try that and see if you get the symptoms. If yes, switch to the negative terminal to the ground point (starter mounting bolt). If either of these "fixes" the problem, it suggests that your cables need replacing.

Let us know how it goes.

TQ

A new battery was installed a few weeks ago along with a 15,000 mile check-up.

Did you have this problem before the new battery? When making a post, give as much info as you have available at the time to get a better reply.

Good suggestion TQ:s

When it won,t turn over take a wire from the pos. On your starter to the solenoid if it turns over change out your relay if that dosn,t do it ill be surprised,jel

Back