free website stats program starting problem | Harley Davidson Forums

starting problem

tlw450

I have a 2003 electra glide Harley with 52,000 mi when I hit the starter switch I have a 2 to 3 second delay before the engine turns over it will start right up I just have that delay, its also a fuel inj model.

thanks
tim

Load test battery first, you could have a combination problem here, weak battery, bad connections at battery and stater, starter stall(armature dragging) bad comp sprocket. You could remove starter and have it bench tested to rule it out also, good luck and merry Christmas:s

I had a similar problem with my '94 FLSTC. My problem was the starter switch. It had some corrosion build up. Installed a new switch and problem solved. It could also be a worn pin connection at the relay.

Had a similar problem last spring. My stock battery was only 3 years old so I didn't think it was the problem. The battery was the least expensive fix so I changed it out and no more hestitation (drag). Starts right up now.

You indicate a delay in the engine turning over. Is there any noise before turning over or is it silent and then the starter goes? If silent Don has you on the right track.

starting delay

I have a 2003 flhti police electra glide that i have a 2-3 second delay when i hit the starter switch but once i start it i don't have any delay its just when i start it for the the day and also once i let it set for a while it will pop like a backfire when i start it.

thanks
tim

Re: starting delay

Did you look at the suggestions above from your post in December on the same isuue?

I am merged this thread with that one.

Re: starting delay

This could be a weak compensator and or a battery problem. I would load test the battery and clean the connections first. Peel back the boot on the starter sloenoid and check for corrosion and tightness of the battery lead also

Back