free website stats program Starting Problem | Harley Davidson Forums

Starting Problem

bikerdad

Yesterday morning the bike didn't start right. Seamed like only one cylinder was firing. Nursed the throttle to keep it running and after about a 30 seconds, just as I was considering shutting it down and taking the car, it smoothed out and ran fine. One hour ride to work and the bike ran smooth and strong. Yesterday evening leaving work to head home, I had the same problem.

Bike is stage 1 with a GEN-3.

Any suggestions on where to begin would be appreciated.

Thanks

Manifold seals? I had the same issue with my bike. The seals had deteriorated allowing air to bypass on the front (if memory serves) cylinder making the bike hard to start. And it also appeared to be running on one cylinder. You can check them by getting the bike started and spraying WD40 are around the seals and listening for engine speed/idle changes.

Last edited:
Manifold seals? I had the same issue with my bike. The seals had deteriorated allowing air to bypass on the front (if memory serves) cylinder making the bike hard to start. And it also appeared to be running on one cylinder. You can check them by getting the bike started and spraying WD40 are around the seals and listening for engine speed/idle changes.

SledDog, I assume you mean the intake manifold seals. If there was a leak there, wouldn't the problem be constant, not just at starting?

Have you put this years new plugs in?

Webbtron, I was thinking about plugs. No, I haven't changed them this season, I did last year at 10,000 miles. The bike now has 15,000 miles and I wasn't planning on changing them this soon but it is worth a try.

Thanks

SledDog, I assume you mean the intake manifold seals. If there was a leak there, wouldn't the problem be constant, not just at starting?

Heat makes things happen. Expasion from heat could be enough to seal the leak until cold again. The constant sucking could also eventually seal it too. SledDog's suggestion is a good one. Get a can of WD-40 and start the bike and spray the manifolds. You'll be able to tell right away.

As Bodeen stated it's possible for the issue is seen at start-up only. That's how my issue was. It took a while for me to find it. Pardon not referencing the intake. But that's the ones to check.

Back