free website stats program Starting Problem? | Harley Davidson Forums

Starting Problem?

Plummie09

I have been noticing that lately, when I push the "start" button on my 2009 xl1200c, it seems to be hesitating for a second before it actually starts. Today, after not being able to ride it for a few weeks, the hesitation was even longer before it started. Could this be a battery problem from not being on the tender all summer or is it something that I should worry about and check into?

Today, after not being able to ride it for a few weeks, the hesitation was even longer

I would start at the battery. You may not even have a problem. A parasitic battery drain of only 50 ma would be ~ 1 amp hour per/day. (1000/50=20hours). We only have 19 amp hours batteries so that means in 3 weeks we are done without a charger hooked up.

The parasitic drain is probably not that high, but it does add up. Bet if you Tender the battery, it will help.

That's what I was hoping to hear. :) Today was probably the last I'll get to ride it until Spring and I didn't want to put it away for the Winter (do not like Winter) with something wrong with it. Thanks!

I had an issue like that for a while. After talking with friend I checked my battery. I finally found that I had a loose negative batter wire. Basically, I pulled the battery out a bit, tightened that thing up on the terminal with a screwdriver and my bike was fixed! Mine got so bad, it finally stopped starting all together. Usually, right when I was trying to go to work at 5am. It even died while riding in the rain a few times. I was worried and almost bought a new battery. He he. Try checking the connections. It's free and if anything, they are probably loose by now anyway.
Good luck.

John
WAP.gif

Back