free website stats program starting issue's | Harley Davidson Forums

starting issue's

New'b here with hdtimeline, so I appreciate your help in advance. I have 2005 1200c with a starting issue. Lately after running for awhile and shutting down for gas or a break, when restarting it will chunck and clunck at first and restart the next try. My battery is a year old and was fully charged when I put it in. Recently I added a battery tender having moved a few hours north(NC). I went to start it up and it sounded like I had no lube in the entire crank case. Metal on metal, but it did start after 2 attempts, so could loose cables cause this or am I looking at a starter clutch and gears. This is only the second battery in this many years and I've never had any serious issue's starting before. Whenever I had to charge the battery I always took the battery out and used a slow charge, Could the battery tender be the problem (it's not HD). Thanks again.

I don't understand the metal noise you are trying to get across???????

The Ground cable CAN come Loose on these sportsters...
(my 06 is a good example)

Also I'd try a set of NEW 6r12 Harley sparkplugs...

The ground on bat.------ loose will make a poor power connection...

Do the lights DIM when you try starting it?

Try to slow Charge bat. with a charger on 2 amps over night.

Then get back with the results.

My tender is NOT HD also...:D

Could be a Battery OR Starter (check before buying parts) ..... How many miles on the bike?

signed....BUBBIE

Thanks guys for the replies. When I return home I'll pull the battery for a slow charge and double check for a good connection. The noise coming from the area is grinding , screetching noise, I've never heard anything like it before. I really didn't pay attention to the head lamp to see if it dimmed when cranking, I will this time around. STARTER DRIVE / ROLLER CLUTCH, would a similar post for my problem be under electrical or engine to read up on. I'm ok with tools, is this a diy project. ONLY 20k miles.

Just what wazzle said:

Sounds more like the starter-drive-clutch on the Jack shaft.
I have bought replacements for as low as 20$ and as high as 89$...

DISCONNECT BATTERY when working on this. ASK 3 finger Jack WHY...:(

Now THAT sound description makes sense...:s

signed....BUBBIE

The neg cable wasn't as tight as it should have been so I removed the tender pig tails, cleaned all the connections, recharged the battery to full and secured the cables. The first cold start was the worst, still screeching, hot starts got easier but now it sounds more like spinning....starter clutch?? Guess I'll see when I pull the primary, thanks for your help

Im having the exact same issue. Starter sounds like its spinning but not engaging. I got lucky and had it happen a block from my house. My neighbor actually went to the harley davidson mechanics course and he said my starter itself is fine. He said that most likely its either the primary chain came off the sprocket or its a clutch problem. He did also say that it could be a part within the starter that is easily replaceable. Keep us updated as to what you discover.
WAP.gif

Back