free website stats program Starting issue | Harley Davidson Forums

Starting issue

01 rk

After filling the tank I turned on the ignition and heard the pump cycle, I hit the start and there was a pop, I thought it came from the tank, the bike did not start so I turned it off and on again the pump cycled and I hit the start, it just cranked. All this time the bike was on the kick stand, I went through the starting procedure again but this time I stood the bike up and it started.
Bottom line is it will not start on the kick stand only in the upright position.
I have looked in the tank when the pump cycles and cannot see any bubbling or fuel movement during the cycle. It is the '06 EG.
I have not check for any codes yet.
Any help will be appreciated.

Is it possible that the fuel pick up tube has split and by having bike upright it is able to pick up fuel?

Once you get it started, will it continue to run if you put it on the side stand or does it shut off?

Is it possible that the fuel pick up tube has split and by having bike upright it is able to pick up fuel?

The tank was full when it happened so I do not think this is the problem.

]Once you get it started, will it continue to run if you put it on the side stand or does it shut off?

Do not know, I will try it.

So if it will still not start when on jiffy stand, but if running upright you are able to put on jiffy stand and bike stays running, I would suspect that the jiffy stand interlock has gone bad or something associated with that system, and the pop you heard was bike burping or a backfire when system failed as you were trying to start on jiffy stand. Did the dash ever say tilt when this complaint first happened??? Maybe the bank angle sensor is registering that bike has fell over when on the jiffy stand and preventing start up. Try starting bike with jiffy stand deployed in the upright position and see if bike starts.

Back