free website stats program starting bike with ignition locked,FLSTF. | Harley Davidson Forums

starting bike with ignition locked,FLSTF.

big jon

i lost my keys about 20 miles from home and had to ring for spare set, but i could get the dash off and get at the wires at the back of ignition switch. I was wondering if this happened again, which wires do i put together to start and run, my bike is a 1999 fatboy evo :bigsmiley21:

Hi Big Jon
I'm not the guy to give you the answer but just wish to give you a warm welcome to the forum.
I'm sure that when Glider is awake he will give you the answer if not beaten by somebody else. You will be amazed by the amount of knowledge in this forum.
Have you tried the self help section of the forum yet?

Where abouts in the UK are you?

hi, Harry, I am near manchester, i have used the forum quite a lot but never needed to post a question the answer has always been in the self help section, but cant find anything this time, thanks Big Jon.

On the back of the switch, you'll see 3 terminals on most of them, four on the older ones. One is 12V pos, the other is accessory and the third is the power supply that gets activated with the switch when you have it unlocked with the key. If you jump the +12 and the ignition leads it should start when you press the start button. If you choose the accessory leads, it will not start but you should get some tail lights lighting.
Sorry but I don't have a wiring diag for your bike to tell you which colors they are. Look for markings on the terminals themselves, some are marked.
You'll know when you bridged the right terminals by hitting the starter button, it should crank and start.

Back