free website stats program Starters | Harley Davidson Forums

Starters

rgoot01

I have this 1979 Low Rider with a stock 80. It is need of a new starter but when I look up the starter on J&P site it shows two part numbers. The first is 31458-66 and the other is 31570-73. My question is whats the difference between the two? Is one better than the other?

Harley used both Prestolite and Hitachi back in the day, the first number is the Prestolite I cannot remember the difference in fit and cranking

I believe the prestolite is longer than the Hitachi. The 2 bolts to mount them are also a different diameter if I recall. Thus if you get the wrong one the bolts won't screw into the the starter shaft housing.
tourbox

I believe the prestolite is longer than the Hitachi. The 2 bolts to mount them are also a different diameter if I recall. Thus if you get the wrong one the bolts won't screw into the the starter shaft housing.
tourbox

Prestolite has 1/4 inch bolts, the Hitachi has 3/16th. The mount bolts are different sizes. The housing they bolt to are different also. The easiest way to tell the two apart is by measuring them. The Prestolite measures 6" long and the Hitachi is 5 1/8" long. If you are going to replace it, I highly recommend that you look at the All Ball starters

Back