free website stats program Starter VS Battery | Harley Davidson Forums

Starter VS Battery

gravity550

I left my switch on on my 2003 Anniversary Fatboy and completely drained the battery. Tried boosting from a car with no luck. The starter just kept making this winding noise. I was able to push it off and got it home and then let it set on a 6amp charger for about 7 hours. Hit the start and it still just whined.... So Im going to have to buy a battery anyways but was wondering your thoughts. Any advice would be appreciated.

Attachments

• fatboy4.jpg
    fatboy4.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 15
Well...jumping w/car might've fried something (i.e. solenoid) so if the new battery didn't resolve your starting problems - best to look at the starter components too. Good luck!

Pushing off a bike with a dead battery is a risky move. When the bike starts you will be asking the charging system to not only power the entire electrical load of the bike but to also charge the battery all at the same time. That is tall order demand on the stator and regulator.

Install your new battery, see what happens and go from there.

I left my switch on on my 2003 Anniversary Fatboy and completely drained the battery. Tried boosting from a car with no luck. The starter just kept making this winding noise. I was able to push it off and got it home and then let it set on a 6amp charger for about 7 hours. Hit the start and it still just whined.... So Im going to have to buy a battery anyways but was wondering your thoughts. Any advice would be appreciated.

JMO - I would get the new battery ( fully charged before you put it in the scoot ) and when you install it , make sure both ends of the cables are clean and tight! Once that is done - check amps,ohms and voltages to make sure your good. If its the starter - take the old one off and have it checked out before buying a new one.

After re-reading your post and thinking about it, I will take a guess and say the new battery does Not help.

If you have a fully charged battery and it makes that noise it sounds like a bad starter drive. or bad ring gear

I'm going with Jack on this one. If you don't hear the engagement of the starter and it just spins over without cranking the engine, I'd say starter drive needs replacement.

Just curious,,,,,How did it start Before this happened?? Ever had the winding/whined noise before? Did it ALSO do this on any occasion before?

how many mile on the bike?

signed....BUBBIE

The bike is a 2003 with 11000 miles. I have never had any problems out of the starter before until this. It just seems odd that it would just go out all of a sudden but I have had other strange things happen to my other bikes as well.

I did not discharge my battery all the way, but I had all the other symptoms described, and it ended up being the starter clutch. It would spin, but not throwout the starter drive gear and engage.

Back