free website stats program Starter shaft seal? | Harley Davidson Forums

Starter shaft seal?

Hi all, I have a 91 FXR evo. I've changed the Starter shaft seal 3 times now and for some reason it still leaks. Being an Auto Tech. by trade I know that I've put the seal in correctly and have done it just as if I were installing a cam seal in one of the many overhead cam engines I work on daily. Is it possible that maybe the Jack drive could be bent and while activating the starter it takes out the seal? Visually it looks OK...Anyways I bought another seal from H.D. and am getting ready to take it all apart again and if anyone has any advice as what maybe the problem I'd greatly appreciate it, cause when this sucker leaks it really leaks bad, especially after a hard long ride. Thank you for any info. in advance that may help cure this problem. Keep the shiny side up, and the rubber side down...

Are you absolutely sure its the starter shaft seal? The fact you say it leaks worse after a long hard ride makes me wonder if its not a shift shaft seal or one of the main shaft seals?

Welcome to the Forum!

I had thought the same the first time but I used dye the last 2 times and it is the starter shaft seal for sure. Thanks for the quick response though..:)

If thats the case then I would definitely be looking into a new jackshaft. I would also use either a James or Cometic seal.

On my 2003 Roadking it was the shifter shaft seal I fixed it and was proud of myself .It was not hard to do but it was time consuming.

Have you checked the shaft bushings and or replaced them?

Well it turns out that the starter jackdrive was bent causing damage to the seal everytime I started the bike. Thank you for the suggestions and the help. Finally no leaks and no more headaches.... Was starting to believe some that say "It's not a Harley if it doesn't leak". But I don't own a 57 rigid with a chain oiler anymore lol. Thanks again this sight is awesome!:bigsmiley8:

Back