free website stats program Starter runs constant | Harley Davidson Forums

Starter runs constant

AFJoe

So, not mechanically inclined as you will probably see right off the bat... Started my ‘86 FXRS and starter stuck, tried turning off, taking the key out, and it wasn’t until I disconnected the positive side of the battery the bike stopped trying to start. Thought maybe the switch went out so I bypassed the switch and hooked up a push button to start the bike, this worked like a charm. I wanted to try and learn so I ordered the new switch and spliced it in to the old one. Same problem. Now, it was time for me to investigate. The solenoid middle lug was jumped to the same end going to the physical starter. How did this ever work, because it should have been constantly hot. Now I have it all disconnected and I’m stumped. I looked on eBay for a starter relay just to see what it looked like since that is where the schematic says the wire should be going (from middle lug of solenoid). I can’t seem to find what eBay shows as a starter solenoid. I did find what I believe is the relay but I’m not sure, so I’m posting a picture for someone to say yay or nay... Yes that is a loose wire, I have no idea where it goes, but it was tucked behind the other wires. Still learning so please go easy on me.

Attachments

• A7BA626E-E41B-4B05-A08D-70E5631A3635.jpeg
    A7BA626E-E41B-4B05-A08D-70E5631A3635.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 19
Indeed it is , this has to be the culprit. So take it out ,and test it on a bench, so you have a better view, what's happening.
Good luck. !!
solenoid.png

Back