free website stats program starter relay and solenoid issues | Harley Davidson Forums

starter relay and solenoid issues

ridefree1

hey ya'll pat form east tn. wats up. heres my problem. i just had my top end done on a 1975 ironhead 1000, dude couldnt get it started afterwards, he had it for 2 months, so i took it . i got home nad set the timing and points, recarged the battery, and cranked it up. a wire in the headlight assembly came loose, and ground out a few wires, 2 of which went to the solenoid and the relay. well i replaced all of them, and hooked the battery back up, i touched the ground to the battery, and the bike tried to start, it also melted the wires again, same one. put a new wire on, and switched them around, put the ground back on, and this time i had to turn the key, also had to replace the ignition, other got fried, anyways, when i hit the starter button, it melted that wire again. i know i have to have it wrong, any help i couls use, thanks

yea i have the haynes and clymer manuals, but i did away with the regulator, and went to ta 1 wire generator, so its kinda hard to go from there, ihave tried different ways nad each keeps grounding out. need to look at my wifes car i guess to see how its hooked up, this is what beer and bikes do to ya.lol.

Back