free website stats program Starter Problems???? | Harley Davidson Forums

Starter Problems????

wichita

My 2004 FXSTDI has begun to start when the ignition is turned on, without engaging the start button. I checked the start switch to see if it was shorted, but was ok. Pulled the plunger in the solenoid and cleaned/burnished the contacts, still no help. I do hear what seems to be more noise than normal from the primary. It also seems to be pulling the battery down and charging system doesn't seem to be charging (12.85VDC @battery when turned off, 11.75VDC at battery when cranked up and running @ 3000rpm). Additionally, I checked the stator and it seems to be good (internal resistance 0.2 ohms, no shorts to ground, and generates 16VAC at idle). 3-phase voltage regulator seems to test okay, but I'm not totally sure on that.

Does anyone have any ideas of what I should check next????

My 2004 FXSTDI has begun to start when the ignition is turned on, without engaging the start button.

I would check the starter relay circuit going to the start switch leg for a ground.

StarterRelay.jpg

I have checked all the wiring circuits for possible shorts to ground and the results were negative. None of this started till I put a new battery on the bike.

I don't have a 2004 service manual but based on my 2009.

If you pull the starter relay from the fuse panel, does the problem of cranking with key ON stop?

Yes it does stop when the relay is pulled. I've been doing some more research and it seems to point to a bad relay or bad switches. I think I'm just going to get new ones (relay and switches) and see if that doesn't cure it. Thanks for the reply...

(why does everyone jump to conclusions :p)

If yes, Remove starter Relay from fuse panel.
Place ignition Key to ON position.

Looking at Relay SOCKET of relay in fuse panel and using Glider Diagram above, measure to see what voltage is between terminal #85 & #86. Do you read 12 volts. If NO, relay has welded contacts and must be replaced. If YES, start button on twist grip is bad/ or wires leading up to it are shorted/ pinched.

OK, the original relay didn't have the pins marked as you indicated, guess the markings wore off over time. Got a new relay and Pins 85/86 did check for voltage, so the problem is in the switch assembly. As usual my local H-D dealer didn't have a switch kit in stock and had to order it (Go Figure!!!) Anyway, replaced the voltage regulator and with the starter relay out the charging system is working again. I appreciate all the help and insight from you guys...

Back