free website stats program Starter Problems | Harley Davidson Forums

Starter Problems

RRNOTT

I have a 03 super glide, when you start it the starter sound like it is spining but is not turning over the motor, after taking off the primary cover i can see that the jackshaft is engaging into the starter ring but the jackshaft is not turning, starter clutch ? or replace the whole starter

I just went through this on my old lowrider. I replaced the clutch which fixed it but only lasted a month or so after, ended up replacing the entire started after.

Had same problem with my custom. Sometimes Higher compression motors can fry your clutch. Replaced mine with Drag Speciaties clutch and installed compression releases for "Hot" starts. Seems to be doing OK. Cost for clutch about $70.00.

Had same problem with my custom. Sometimes Higher compression motors can fry your clutch. Replaced mine with Drag Speciaties clutch and installed compression releases for "Hot" starts. Seems to be doing OK. Cost for clutch about $70.00.

Do you have any details on the installation and use of compression releases for our performance minded enthusiasts? :reyes

Next question, HD wants $118.00 for a oem clutch, that comes with the output shaft,but a after market clutch with out the output shaft is $54.00, any suggestions?

Next question, HD wants $118.00 for a oem clutch, that comes with the output shaft,but a after market clutch with out the output shaft is $54.00, any suggestions?

Don't tell Gary I told you this but here it goes.:s Take your old part to match it up, there's a few that fit.

WAI PART DESCRIPTION

what a halfast video...how'd the holes get into the head...was Jeannie there or perhaps Samantha...?

Gotta use a little imagination Gary. How long do you think the video would be if they showed him removing the heads and drilling them?

There's also kits available to do it on the bike as well without removing the heads.

Hope you're writing all this down so when I call you and question you, you have the right answers.:D

There's always this option too...

compressionrelease.jpg

Spyke Firststryke Compression Release Spark Plugs from Chopper Surplus

Or for the gear heads in the crowd...

Installation Instructions for S&S 90-4925 Mechanical Compression Release - HDTimeline Downloads Page - Harley Davidson Community

Or for the lazy gear heads, there's electric ones too.

Installation Instructions:S&S 90-4915 Electric Compression Release - HDTimeline Downloads Page - Harley Davidson Community

How to do it on the bike if you're daring enough to try...

Compression Releases Tech JIMS - HDTimeline Downloads Page - Harley Davidson Community

Back