free website stats program Starter problem | Harley Davidson Forums

Starter problem

Harleycwo

I have a 08 Ultra and for the past few weeks, when I start the bike cold there is no problem. If I stop for gas (10 min or so) and go to start it sounds like a loud chunk in the starter. I thought I chewed up some teeth for sure. Checked the primary, no metal shavings. I have been looking at other blogs and some say it is the starter cluch, some say its the jacking gear. Looking for some help. Anybody else had a problem?

I have a 08 Ultra and for the past few weeks, when I start the bike cold there is no problem. If I stop for gas (10 min or so) and go to start it sounds like a loud chunk in the starter. I thought I chewed up some teeth for sure. Checked the primary, no metal shavings. I have been looking at other blogs and some say it is the starter cluch, some say its the jacking gear. Looking for some help. Anybody else had a problem?

Do you have the SE compensator? If yes then the starter drive is probably going south. Tho I would load test the battery first:s

It is not a starter problem it is a compensator problem. To fix the problem have the SE compensator installed. There are a lot of treads on this subject.

If there is a single loud bang or clunk, it is the compensator bottoming out. If it is a brief grinding noise, it is the starter clutch. I have had both symptoms on my 08 RK. Installed the SE compensator at 15k miles and an Allballs starter drive at about 30k. The new compensator fixed the bang, the new starter drive fixed the grinding noise. The grinding noise is the spragg clutch chattering until it takes a good bite and spins the engine.

If there is a single loud bang or clunk, it is the compensator bottoming out. If it is a brief grinding noise, it is the starter clutch. I have had both symptoms on my 08 RK. Installed the SE compensator at 15k miles and an Allballs starter drive at about 30k. The new compensator fixed the bang, the new starter drive fixed the grinding noise. The grinding noise is the spragg clutch chattering until it takes a good bite and spins the engine.

Replaced the starter twice. I have the 103" kit with the 255 cams and NO COMPRESSION RELEASES and starter would clunk and grind and stall. Replaced the compensator with the SE compensator and all of my starting problems disappeared and I still have no compression releases in my bike. I put the 103" kit in at 4K replaced 2 starters one at 8K and one at 12K I then put in the SE compensator at 16K and now I have 41K on the bike with NO STARTER PROBLEMS and I am still using the stock HD starter that was put in at 12K. Do the math 2 starters in 12K with the stock compensator or 1 starter with 29K with the SE compensator. All along there was never a starter problem it was all in the stock compensator and there is no need to go with a higher output starter the stock starter works just fine.

Thanks for the info all, ironmark, btsom, and Jack. I will defently change the compensator. But I am thinking its going to be the starter first. It starts great cold, but when its hot say after a stop for gas, it sounds like a chainsaw in a metal can. It starts but damn man the sound. Will let you know what I find out. Thanks again.

Thanks for the info all, ironmark, btsom, and Jack. I will defently change the compensator. But I am thinking its going to be the starter first. It starts great cold, but when its hot say after a stop for gas, it sounds like a chainsaw in a metal can. It starts but damn man the sound. Will let you know what I find out. Thanks again.

Hard starting and starter noise when the engine is HOT is the compensator not the starter, your starter works just fine when the engine is cold . Save the $$$$ on the starter and do the compensator first because the starter is probably still good. SE compensator HD part #40274-08 cost $249.95. A starter will cost you more then the SE compensator.

Back