free website stats program Starter Problem - 09 Street Glide | Harley Davidson Forums

Starter Problem - 09 Street Glide

GarryH

I have an 09 Street Glide that has an intermittent starter problem. Sometimes when I hit the starter button, I get a grinding noise like the starter isn't engaging properly or like it would sound if the battery were going bad. It seems like this rarely happens when the bike is cold, but increases after it gets warm.
I've been told and have read that; I need a new starter. It's the SE compensation gear. or, It's the starter clutch. Being a disabled Vet I don't have the $$ to have a wrench look at it, besides I've always preferred to do my own work on my bikes.
Any ideas?

I would thoroughly clean the battery terminals and the connections.

I had this same problem on mine last summer. I found out when I used s100 total bike cleaner, it has a corrosive property in it. It works well as a cleaner, but it plays havoc to certain bare metals.

The best thing to use to clean battery terminals is either a battery terminal brush kit, or plain and simple wire brushes.

The compensators are known for making the noise when starting due to no oil getting inside the bushing. There has been several redesigns since '08.
If you google Harley compensator problem you will get lots of info.

Try starting bike in neutral with out pulling clutch in. It is possible with hot bike that the battery is unable to crank bike properly. If OE battery it may be warning you of impeding doom. Remove battery and properly test including load test and go from there. Have you checked the battery cables for tightness and lack of corrosion?

I just got my 08 dyna back i had the same complaint. I was told that it was the compensator sprocket. They upgraded the parts; sprocket, springs,alternator, rotor, and the starter clutch, and some other bits.They told me its the 4th one they have seen this year. I have an extended warrante, could have cost $400. but the problem seems to have been fixed.

More than likely you need to replace your battery. Had similar problem for about a year. Never fail to crank, but it would turn over slow at times. Battery would check good most of the time. Spent about $130+ on new battery and all problem went away.

Back