free website stats program starter motor | Harley Davidson Forums

starter motor

kennyw

good evening all,having a little problem with my 2005 sporty custom,out riding monday stopped off at supermarket,hit starter button aload thud & then a few clicks from starter(as if batt was flat)then it burst into life,came to bike today hit starter all i got was a load of clicking,checked leads on battery ok tried again, same thing but a few sparks from primary case area & then lights dimmed,looking through forum it points to solenoid any more ideas?? :(

ride safe

Before you start spending money check the battery cables at the other end away from the battery
the earth will be on to the frame somewhere best to remove both cables from the bike give a good clean to both ends and to their mount points
refit and see how it goes

Brian

Like Fin and Jayson said check the easy things first, a bad ground will create a huge voltage drop and alot of extra heat and sparks too:s

thanks guys for a quick responce,had battery in house now fully charged,will check cables weds.... fingers crossed,once again thanks
ride safe

The sparking in the solenoid may mean there are bad spots on the copper washer contact. Used crocus cloth to clean the bad spots. If you check the other side, if it is flat, you could clean it and flip it over...just a thought. One other thing to check...put a DMM ($1.99 at Harbor Freight, cheaper with coupon) or clamp type meter (considerably more but much more convenient (clamp observe polarity arrow, voila') and measure the leakage current escaping from the positive battery terminal. Basically anything more than an 1 Amp (due to normal draw from security system, ECM, regulator etc.) of current is sufficient to discharge your battery over time. Do you put your bike on a Battery Tender periodically. If you don't, do consider one $35 for the Deltran one ($45 for the one for watercraft which is sealed and potted).

Last edited:
thanks guys ,managed to get at the bike today,the battery lead to ground had split in outer cover ,and where it was earthed there was a loop of corroded cable under the battery lead ? it had broken down making a loose connection,took it all out cleaned up all the connections taped the split up(new one on order from hd b'ham--- 5 days) fingers crossed hit the starter.....and its sorted,once again thanks for all your help :D
ride safe

Glad you got it sorted. The sporties have more than their share of electrical problems for sure.

Bike fixed and only a few pennies spent thats a great result

Brian

hi guys picked lead up today from hd,& ordered myself windshield,fed up with finding bugs in my pockets :)bike starting ok but now & then a bit of a crunch might have to give stater & solenoid the once over,
ride safe

Back